Shaya's Reviews > Living Dead Girl

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Aug 26, 09

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, summer-2009
Recommended for: older teens or adults who like horrific stories that could be true
Read in August, 2009

The events described in this book are absolutely horrific! It's one of the most distrubing books I've ever read.

The story is about a ten-year-old girl abducted by a pedaphile. Now, the girl, who he renamed Alice, is fifteen and he's finding a new child to mold into what he wants.

One of the book's strengths is that it gives you a good sense of why Ray, the pedephile, does all that he does and why Alice doesn't reach out for help.

It's very well written and often feels like poetry. It's a quick read (I read it straight in an hour and a half) with short chapters and the author doesn't shrink away from the details.

As to whether it belongs on YA shelves my answer is probably yes. I think it is meant for older teens. It's not an easy read for anyone, but possibly more disturbing for adults with children. I would be nervous about younger readers accidentally picking it up and reading it thinking because they're thirteen and this book is in the YA section that it's appropriate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead Girl.