Kaion's Reviews > The Riddle-Master of Hed

Aug 26, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: unfinshed, fantasy
Read in March, 2009

Fantasy without any fantastic. 'Riddles' without any riddles! More accurately, what here is described as riddle-figuring is actually history/mythology research. But I guess that 'The Primary-and-Secondary-Document Seeker of Hed' doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Characters should be great by what they do. I don't want to be told how clever and destined-for-great-things a character is- I want to be shown it without the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, only a bit more than nothing occurs here. Obviously the story is intended to be continued in further books, but I'm not sticking around to find out.

Which isn't to say research can't be interesting. It's just not this way full of cheap twists (amnesia!) that don't go anywhere and slow, ponderous meetings of your protypical boring caucasian male societies.

McKillip created a world of lyrically magic beauty and passionately motivated people in The Forgotten Beasts of Eld- and doesn't show any of that skill here.

White men forming societies to control the dispensation of knowledge- keeping it to their own and making it mystical and unusable. Why am I not surprised or interested? Unfinishable. Rating: 0.5/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Riddle-Master of Hed.

02/09/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It of course would have been perfectly ok if it had been female societies.

Ryan St george Great review