Ebookwormy's Reviews > Safely Home

Safely Home by Randy Alcorn

What would you die for? What are you living for?
This book earned my highest recommendation. I think it ranks among the best books I have ever read. Let me tell you why I think you should read it too.

For me, excellent fiction works on many different levels. With different readings, different aspects of the story are highlighted by the reader's life experience/ perception. This book is an excellent story with well developed characters. Beyond that, it is also a look into modern China, how it differs from the USA and the experience of communism from the inside. History of China is woven in, and via the US character, one gets a feel for Chinese immersion from a USA perspective. I was captivated, but aware that not only was I ENJOYING the book, I was LEARNING valuable information about our world. Finally, this book is spiritually challenging. I cannot imagine someone not being changed by it. The overall impression of the book was so powerful, it cast an aura over my days which I didn't want to break by either reading something else or writing my review. I wanted it to marinate in my soul. Out of that process, I made some decisions, some changes in my life that have proved fruitful.

The tricky thing about such a powerful world of fiction, particularly one with Christian themes is the ending. All writers love their characters and can be drawn toward a comfortable outcome for them, but this seems particularly strong in the Christian fiction department, and is a real weakness. About 3/4 of the way through the book, it occurred to me that it was going to end, so i slowed down my reading, a little concerned that the experience would be tarnished by the ending. I am happy to report that Alcorn handled the ending well. He gives us a glimpse, but only a glimpse into how the characters are changed by the events of the story, without harping on his more powerful themes, and avoids the temptation to tie up all loose ends.

Highly recommended. 5 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safely Home.