Steven Kent's Reviews > Paranoia

Paranoia by Joseph Finder

2044516
My wife and I had sharply differing opinions on this one. She absolutely loved... she loved it so much, in fact, that she practically insisted that I read it.

I don't mind Joseph Finder. I read another novel by him and found it more competent, good in fact, just not my cup of tea.

I had the same basic response to Paranoia.

The story begins with a low-level management type forging names and faking identities to rip off his company and throw an unauthorized retirement party for a loading dock worker. When he returns to work, expecting only to be fired, he is told that his little soiree cost the company over $78,000 and his boss wanted to press charges for embezzlement.

Here's where I began to lose interest. Adam, the protagonist, tries to get himself out of hot water by spinning a story about how the retiring dock worker was his estranged father who was dying of cancer and the company security guy buys it. Adam would have gotten off scot-free had his Larry Ellison-like boss not overheard the whole story and seen through it.

Because he is such a great liar, his bosses decide to help him land a job with a rival high-tech firm where he can be their spy. From there the book became harder and harder for me to swallow.

Finder himself is an excellent writer with a real facility for setting up corporate worlds filled with minnows and sharks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranoia.