Dlora's Reviews > Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl

Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

Aug 26, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, biography
Read in August, 2009

This is a great nonfiction story that engages you and teaches you at the same time. I'm still not entirely willing to concede that nonfiction can interest me as much as a carefully crafted piece of fiction, but this book comes close. The title of the book tells it all: Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl. Stacey O'Brien gives us a fascinating peek into the world of biologists and naturalists and barn owls. It almost makes you want to own an owl as a pet--if only it didn't take so much dedication, effort, and a willingness to tolerate dead mice, puncture holes in your clothes, boyfriends, and being awake a lot at night. Really fascinating. I was intrigued with Stacey's balance between environmentalists, animal-rights activists, and scientists. Bottom-line, if a certain course of action is good for an animal then she is for it, but the key is to know if it is good for an animal or not. For instance, being in captivity might actually be what is best for an animal. This is really a delightful story and fascinating to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wesley the Owl.