Angela's Reviews > The Frontiersman's Daughter

The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: 2009, historical, love-or-romance, read-in-2011, west-frontier
Read from August 20 to 21, 2011

This was an "impulse pick-up" at the library. I saw it sitting on the shelf and thought it looked like a book I had on my to-read list so I grabbed it. I was in the mood for a historical book with a love storyline, so that was that.

It was disappointing and I almost stopped reading several times. The beginning is slow and starts when Lael is 13 and instead of jumping ahead in time (there are early events that play a role in the future and the choices of Lael as a young adult) I had to slog through a lot of uninteresting scenes. About the time that I really was about to quit reading, it got interesting with a Scottish doctor & Captain Jack so I kept going. It was an okay ending. One of the characters that seems to be an important part of the story just disappears and is never heard from again, which was really bothersome. Why spend all the time developing his relationship to the story only to drop him when he's no longer needed?

If you haven't read CHRISTY yet, I'd recommend it instead of this one. It's a similar type of story (with a heavier Christian aspect) that I enjoyed a lot more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frontiersman's Daughter.