Vince's Reviews > Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why

Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman

M_50x66
Aug 26, 09

Read in August, 2009

Less scholarly than The Closing of the Western Mind, but covers similar historical territory: the first few centuries of the Christian church.

Ehrman reviews the physical evidence we have of the New Testament canon -- several tens of thousands of parchments of Greek, Latin, Aramaic, Hebrew, etc., and describes how they differ from each other. The short answer is that there are 300k - 400k differences in the texts, and that scholars have spent the last century or so puzzling out why those differences exist, how they came to be, and how best we can determine the original intent of the authors.

Along the way he talks about a number of genuinely surprising misquotes, and the reasons they may have been made. Scribes make simple mistakes, of course, but sometimes they were motivated to change the text because they thought they were correcting a mistake. Less noble changes were made to argue against theological enemies, against women, or to steer the religion in a way that they found more to their liking.

I'm thrilled to notice that this was a NYT best-seller for quite a few weeks. It heartens me that more religious and non-religious people are now aware of the actual history of the Bible, and the history of attempts at interpreting it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misquoting Jesus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kenny Bell PLEASE READ* Does Bart Erhman provide the resources or evidence to where he claims "We don't have the original bible" and "we dont know who wrote the bible"? He just says this thing without pointing readers where to look this up. And it was also weird to me that if we dont have the original bible then what did they use to translate to English?

Vince Kenny wrote: "PLEASE READ* Does Bart Erhman provide the resources or evidence to where he claims "We don't have the original bible" and "we dont know who wrote the bible"? He just says this thing without pointin..."

Sounds to me like you haven't read his book.

Kenny Bell Vince wrote: "Kenny wrote: "PLEASE READ* Does Bart Erhman provide the resources or evidence to where he claims "We don't have the original bible" and "we dont know who wrote the bible"? He just says this thing w..."
Lol i havent! Lol