Kat's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Oct 27, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi, ya-fiction, dystopia
Read in October, 2009

A very thought-provoking yet accessible sci-fi tale. Three teens are running for their lives and encountering various terrifying obstacles in a not-so-distant dystopian society that has outlawed abortion but enforces "unwinding" of unwanted, troublesome, or religiously-tithed teenagers. In the wake of the civil Heartland War, the law claims to value all human life from the moment of conception while also stating that an Unwind is not technically dead, just in a "divided human state". As a result, abundant replacement organs and body parts are now readily available for all in need of transplant, both life-threatening and cosmetic. Gross, right? The story is told primarily from the perspective of the the AWOL-unwinds Connor, Risa, and Lev, with a few other perspectives thrown in there, too. Overall, it's a creepy, fast-moving thriller, and yikes...The description of an unwinding at the end is SUPER creepy and not easily forgotten.

The concept of "unwinding" (harvesting unwanted teens against their will for their body parts) seems so ridiculous, but this gruesome tale does make you think about the pro-choice/pro-life movement and how each side sees the other. Thankfully, I tried but found it hard to decipher any particular agenda from the author. A bit of sleuthing revealed that a sequel appears to be in the works, which is great because there is definitely more of this story to tell and hopefully resolve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaye I'd forgotten that I actually had read this when you brought up the title. It's pretty good--the description of the "unwinding" was pretty creepy. Do you like it so far? Are you going to book talk it?

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat Kaye wrote: "I'd forgotten that I actually had read this when you brought up the title. It's pretty good--the description of the "unwinding" was pretty creepy. Do you like it so far? Are you going to book ta..."
I'm slowly getting through it whenever I get a chance during my lunch breaks, but I'm liking it so far. I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I think it would be great for book-talking or a teen book club discussion (although sadly, WV's has fizzled out)...The premise is definitely wild and thought-provoking.