Paul's Reviews > Nicholas Nickleby

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: novels

This is one of the crap dodgily picaresque (= not really got a plot) very early Dickens which have no merit at all except being complete fun and a joy to read. But they have no purpose. Just joy and fun. So you can probably skip this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nicholas Nickleby.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls The word crap and Dickens in the same sentence does not compute. Less Burgundy at dinner Mr. B.

Paul amended.

message 3: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls Hmm. I also take issue with "not really got a plot" but let's not come to blows.

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri I like joy and fun. Just bought the miniseries that I remember from 20 years ago

message 5: by Randi-lee (new) - added it

Randi-lee Robyn How does a novel that tells the story of several interesting and well-created characters, situated in beautifully depicted scenes of London and area, not have a plot? ...because there isn't absolute action on every page? I think there's something to be said for the impressive quality of the plot subtleties.

Paul In these early ones I think CD was making it up as he went along. He was in his mid 20s! He was learning fast. Didn't take him long to figure out what to do with plots.