Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > The City of Dreaming Books

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

Oct 14, 09

bookshelves: 5-stars, fantasy, 2009, owned-physical-book
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

Walter Moers created a fascinating universe and stayed true to it all the way through. I'm not sure the plot is so spectacular on its own, but the story was made so by all the details and all the descriptions that he included. It took me awhile to get used to his way of writing, so I wasn't hooked from the very first page, but the further into it I got, the more quirky it became, and I just had to know what happened next.

The City of Dreaming Books uses the book media as a way of telling the story, and I'm always totally charmed by books that dare do that - e.g. write things with smaller font when people are whispering etc. So far I've only seen Walter Moers and Jasper Fforde do this efficiently.

Absolutely brilliant book. I laughed out loud more often than at practically any other book - not counting Douglas Adams obviously, but then he's in a category of his own, and honestly Walter Moers' humour often reminded me of DA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Dreaming Books.

Quotes Maria M. Liked

Walter Moers
“There were adventure stories supplied with cloths for mopping your brow, thrillers containing pressed leaves of soothing valerian to be sniffed when the suspense became too great, and books with stout locks sealed by the Atlantean censorship authorities ("Sale permitted, reading prohibited!"). One shop sold nothing but 'half' works that broke off in the middle because their author had died while writing them; another specialised in novels whose protagonists were insects. I also saw a Wolperting shop that sold nothing but books on chess and another patronised exclusively by dwarfs with blond beards, all of whom wore eye-shades.”
Walter Moers, The City of Dreaming Books
tags: books

Walter Moers
“Someone with an obsession for arranging things in alphabetical order was an abcedist, whereas someone with an obsession for arranging them in reverse alphabetical order was a zyxedist.”
Walter Moers, The City of Dreaming Books