Lolly's Library's Reviews > Ghosts in the Snow

Ghosts in the Snow by Tamara Jones

Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, mystery-suspense, pick-of-the-litter, part-of-a-series
Read from November 01 to 04, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Take the heinous crimes of Jack the Ripper, ramped up a notch or two, add the thrills and chills of a well-written crime novel, mix in the oppressive atmosphere most often found in dark fantasy novels, and what you come up with is Ghosts in the Snow, a superbly crafted and seamless mix of seemingly disparate genres.

Dubric Bryerly is the castellan of Castle Faldorrah, responsible for the safety and well-being of his master's, Lord Brushgar's, domain. When an unknown killer begins savagely murdering servant girls, more than Dubric's reputation is on the line. Cursed by the Goddess Malanna after his wife's murder some forty years ago, he is haunted by the ghosts of the dead...literally. They appear before him in a flash of blinding pain, wailing silently, lamenting their deaths. And until Dubric finds their killer, the ghosts remain with him, tormenting him as they grow in boldness and strength.

Used to dealing with murders born out of drunken rages or domestic disputes, the recent spate of murders baffles him. The murderer eludes Dubric's grasp, leaving no clues and no witnesses. All Dubric knows is that an innocent linen maid, Nella, has become the object of the murderer's twisted desire. Nella has a protector, however, in the dashing Lord Risley. Unfortunately, as bodies continue to pile up, the few clues Dubric and his team have found point to Lord Risley as the prime suspect. Now Dubric must decide if he's willing to gamble his life and the kingdom he vowed to protect on Risley's guilt, for if he's right, Faldorrah will be thrust into war, and if he's wrong, another innocent life will be lost when the real killer strikes again.

When I read this book for the first time, somewhere around 2005, I didn't know it was the first of a trilogy. All I knew was that it was an exhilarating, if gruesome, breath of fresh air in the fantasy genre. I'd never heard of anyone combining a forensic-style crime storyline with the fantasy genre. Heck, if anyone'd asked me, I wouldn't have had the first clue how to go about doing that. Somehow, Tamara Siler Jones' twisted little brain (and I mean that in the best of ways) managed to concoct this unique and inventive tale and I congratulate her for it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts in the Snow.

11/01/2010 page 163

message 1: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Great review, and this is definitely something I am going to have to check out. Your synopsis was so finely crafted it truly sounded like it belonged on the dust jacket! I am looking forward to reading this at some point in the future, who knows when though with my reading pile. Namaste.

Lolly's Library Thanks for the compliment! Too many more of those and my head will be so swollen, I won't be able to fit through a doorway. ;D When and if you ever do get around to reading this, I hope you enjoy it.

message 3: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Seriously it was awesomely written, and makes me want to not post a review on here as I call myself a writer, and do not think I could crank out anything nigh as good! Once I read it I'll post my review anyway even if it will only be as a candle to your bonfire of a review! Namaste.

Lolly's Library If you hear a sonic boom, that will be my head exploding from all the wonderful things you're saying. ;D

message 5: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Oh, was that what that was? Sorry did not mean for a sonic explosion, just calling'em like I see'em. Namaste.

message 6: by faeriemyst (last edited Nov 06, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

faeriemyst You know, it's reviews like these that make me wonder why I even try. What's the point? It's hopeless, I may as well just hang it up now. Okay, so there are reviews I'm obligated to write so I guess my retirement will have to wait for the time being. ;D I thought this sounded interesting when I saw you were reading, now I'm even more intrigued.

Isn't it weird how you can feel like you're intruding when there's already a conversation going on in a public forum? Like you're trespassing and will be prosecuted or something. :P Geez, another mess to clean up, what fun.

Oh, and one more thing, what kept it from becoming a five instead of a four-star read?

Lolly's Library Geez, talk about an ego-boosting compliment! They're just comin' at me from all sides, I'm not sure I can handle all the praise. Dammit, I just got my head back together, too. ;D

Oh, yeah, definitely. I feel the same way, then I wonder why I'm feeling so timid. After all, it's a public forum, dagnabbit, so whether they like it or not, them folks is gettin' my opinion! :D Hmm, I seem to be channeling Foghorn Leghorn for some reason. :/ Well, quit saying nice things about what I write and my head won't explode nearly as often. ;D

Sheer accident, that's how. You'll see I've rectified the mistake. The four-star was given when I first added this book to my list and I couldn't remember the details of it or how I felt about it, other than I knew it was good. After I re-read it and it came time for my review, I was so focused on getting the review right, I didn't pay attention to upgrading it to a five-star book. That's all.

message 8: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt You know a good portion of the books I've added to my list as "read" have been done so from pure conjecture upon consulting my addled brain. I imagine that many of the books I have rated on here if I were to reread them would often gain or lose a star when reevaluated. The true question would become what had changed in time the book or I? Namaste.

message 9: by Lolly's Library (last edited Nov 06, 2010 10:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lolly's Library Whoa, man, you're getting deep. I don't know if my addled brain can handle it. ;D I know what you mean, though; I'm sure quite a few of the books I've added as "Read" from memory alone would, were I to go back and reacquaint myself with them, lose a star. There probably aren't many that would gain; if they didn't get a high rating to begin with, it's because while I may remember them fondly, I obviously don't remember them as vividly as the books I've already marked with four and five stars. Then again, there are those childhood favorites which have been highly marked that I would almost hate to go back and reread; my adult responses to the books would differ greatly from my youthful ones and I'm sure my glowing memories of the books would be dashed.

message 10: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt I think your assessment of the situation is spot on! I would imagine most books might end up losing a star, where few would actually gain one. I do enjoy going back and reading some of the books I found to be truly awesome, just to see if they can withstand the test of time. Most recently I did this with Dean Koontz's "Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages," and I was very pleased that it was nigh as enjoyable as I remembered it being when I checked it out of the library when I was a ten! Though as not to destroy fond memories I have decided that such a test to destruction for books from the past will only take place on yearly basis! Namaste.

message 11: by faeriemyst (new)

faeriemyst Okay, will remember to say awful and mean things in the future. :D We have to keep you humble. ;P

Ahh, I see.

Lolly's Library Good, you do that. Humble is good, plus cleaning up the mess from my exploding head is so time-consuming. :D