Lindz's Reviews > A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain

A Great and Terrible King by Marc Morris

Jan 27, 15

bookshelves: 21st-century, historical-documentary, you-cant-choose-your-family, medieval-ish
Recommended for: Perfect introduction to medieval history.
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

Edward I is safe to say though a very smart and successful king was a bit of a bastard. Squashed the Welsh, stole from the Irish, bankrupted then evicted the Jews, and with the laugh of an evil genius conducted a corporate take over of the Scottish crown, with a disembowelment of William Wallace on the side . Gordon Gecko would be proud - "Greed is Good".

Marc Morris' main argument is, yes Edward I was a bit of a bastard, but he was a bastard in keeping with the late 13th Century. Also Morris has given a strong personality to this biography of the very strong king, which is unusual in historical bios. Morris is delightful snarky, discussing issues with a modern flare, but all the issues were in a medieval contemporary feel.

This is a fantastic read, and perfect for those who want an introduction to English Medieval history, Morris doesn't assume prior knowledge without talking down either.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great and Terrible King.

10/24/2009 page 1
10/25/2009 page 65
16.25% "Morris is delightfully snarky"
show 3 hidden updates…

Hazel He was indeed,Linda, but weren't they all? This book is worth reading for one reason. It re-confirms my thoughts about the English kings and what they did to the Celtic nations.

I am so tempted to say more but I'm on my good behavior - for now.

message 2: by Joanna (new) - added it

Joanna Fantastic review! Makes me want to read it!