Gina's Reviews > You Can Run...

You Can Run... by Carlene Thompson

Nov 11, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: group-reads, action, mystery, own, romantic-suspense, suspense
Read in August, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I have a feeling this review is going to be shorter than my usual.

The prologue will suck in any reader. A house explosion that rocks a quiet, run-down neighborhood, a mother thrown from the back porch, her darling girl safe... who wouldn't want to keep reading to find out what's going on!

From finding out that the explosion was caused by a bomb, to finding out her friend lied and still has a husband, to a little girl literally losing it and freaking out that her father is a Bad Man, all makes for some very tense scenes at the beginning.

And while the tension is still there, needless details and repetitive thoughts/feelings are starting to hamper the story.

The main character, Diana, is a very brave woman who doesn't see herself as such. After a failed marriage, she doesn't believe she'll find the love she's looking for. And now she's dumbfounded, for everything that her friend Penny told her was a lie, and Diana wants to know why. Why would Penny run from her husband, taking their daughter with her? Why would she teach Willow to fear her father? Why did Penny say her husband was dead? Diana is determined to find out why, although - we don't really see her investigating anything!

Tyler Raines: supposed to be a stranger, he's actually Penny's foster father. An undercover cop from New York, he's determined to find out why his sister's house was bombed, why she was keeping secrets from him.

More attacks, more drama on the part of the husband, his constant outrage and attacks seemed more like something a woman would do, LOL! I was kind of getting tired of it. But the worst character, I feel, in this story isn't the actual bad guy. Let's see if you can guess who I thought was the most annoying character. Hint: for an adult, she acted way more like a petulant child. And I'm sorry, but adult characters who act like that deserve a smack upside the head from me.

I did, however, get chills during the tenseful, climatic scene where the real bad guy is revealed. I think the chills were because this person seemed unbelievably level-headed and had bided his time. That chilled me.

The epilogue was perfect, though. So many happy endings. Still, the ending couldn't make up for all of the repetitive feelings and details of mundane and not needed details.

A good read to pass the time, and I do believe that I'll try another of Carlene Thompson's books.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Can Run....

08/25/2009 page 11