Karisa's Reviews > Diaper-Free Before 3: The Healthier Way to Toilet Train and Help Your Child Out of Diapers Sooner

Diaper-Free Before 3 by Jill M. Lekovic

Sep 10, 09

Read in September, 2009

My older sister bought this book for me and made me read it. My sister starts toilet training her kids on their 1st birthday, and they're all completely done and trained by their 2nd birthday. (It's worked with all 3 of her children.) I like the premise of this book. Basically, the idea is that it takes from 6 months - 1 year to potty-train children (no matter the age), so you might as well do it when they're younger, before they have power struggles and their own agendas. The author (a pediatrician) says if kids are introduced to a potty early on, it's natural and just part of life. You don't have to bribe your child with stickers or candy to get them to use the toilet, it's just normal because they were introduced to it at an early age. Also, there are lots of benefits of getting kids out of diapers early-- environmental, financial, medical, social, etc.

I'm curious to see how this works! I believed the book enough to give it a shot with Benson. I'll have a more educated opinion about this whole process in a few months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diaper-Free Before 3.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Hutchison Irion Good luck Karisa. Just finished potty training Grace. No book helped. Just had to happen when she wanted to do it. Tried three times and failed. Fourth time SHE wanted to be potty trained. Wow, I'm a downer. You'll be great. Benson will be potty trained before you know it!

Karisa Oh man Katie. I'm trying it with Benson, but I'll let you know in a few months if this blows up in my face! That was one thing the book might have lacked-- realism. It made it sound really joyful and natural to potty-train kids. (Which, I'm assuming it isn't, right?) Anyway, I sit Benson down on his little potty twice each day, and I try to make it a really fun, happy time when he gets lots of attention. He seems to enjoy it and he's getting comfortable with the idea, but we're not having any results yet. Sorry, this is kind of gross.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I had the same experience as Katie. I introduced the potty to Marley when she was about 17-18 months. She thought it was fun and would usually go before she had a bath. I never really pushed it on her. I think it was more that I thought potty training would be a pain for me to worry about when we were out and about. We did pick out cute underwear for her though and she started wearing them over her diapers :) (not my idea, totally her's). Anyway, one day she decided she wanted to do it and she did. She did have a couple of accidents along the way and pooping took a little longer. Overall though, it was simple.

Ok, that was a really long comment. sorry!