Olga's Reviews > Between, Georgia

Aug 25, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009, novels, south
Read in August, 2009 — I own a copy

I loved the way this book started and I was very disappointed by how it ended. It started with a beautiful and hilarious first chapter, written so well that I even read it outloud to my partner.

The characterizations started out beautiful: Nonny who is an archaeologist (digging in the past for her family story -- this line ended up not being developed at all) and an interpreter from and to American Sign Language, and a bridge, and someone who got caught in between, or in Between, GA. In between two families, in between to men, in between her own overbooking of herself on a particular Friday night.

Then the character emblems started to get a little murkier -- the dolls of her mother Stacia, the luna moths and caterpillars of her formidable aunt Bernese -- and I looked forward to see how these emblems will tie in the lives of the characters not only literally but on a symbolic level. They never did. The legacy of Nonny's grandmother Jane has never been discovered. Instead, we almost switched into a Harlequine romance mode. I didn't notice when that happened.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between, Georgia.