Destinee Sutton's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Sep 16, 2009

bookshelves: tween, book-group-worthy, mystery, new-york, sci-fi, teen, middle-grade, time-travel, newbery
Recommended for: 10 and up

I love it when I find a book I can't put down. I read this in one sitting and it went by so fast, but in a good way, like I'm excited to read it again. It's pretty difficult to describe the plot, so I'll just say that it's exceptionally well written, moves at a great pace, and the characters leap off the page.

It also defies genre. I'd call it a mystery because Miranda, the 6th grade protagonist, tells the story as she's trying to figure it out, so the reader is there trying to figure it out with her.

I'd also say it's everyday life because it's about friendships, families, walking home from school past a crazy person, just normal stuff that happens to kids.

And it's sci-fi because there is an element of time travel (the good "always already happened" time travel--I don't like it when time travel can change the past).

It's also kind of historical fiction for young readers because it takes place in New York City in 1978, when the streets were not very safe and the $20,000 Pyramid was a super hot game show (as a great touch, the chapters have titles like categories in the Pyramid).

I think this is a strong Newbery contender for 2010.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.