Olean Public Library's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jan 03, 11

Read in August, 2009

* This novel is perhaps one of the best first time ventures by an author I have yet to read. Think Harper Lee and To Kill A Mockingbird or Margaret Mitchell and Gone With the Wind. I hope for the sake of the reader that unlike those two authors whose first were also their last, we will see more and more of this author who is also Southern. This novel is both heartbreaking and extremely funny. The characters of Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minnie are outstanding. Set in 1960s Mississippi, Skeeter, a young woman who is searching for meaning in her life, writes a book aided by "the help" - the black women who are the maids. You will never forget this novel, the characters are certainly not Minnie's "the Terrible Awful." Highest ratings again. A MUST READ!!!!

* Wow! Couldn't put the book down, felt as if I knew the characters.

* A true insight into the beliefs of the people of the South when color still mattered. It’s surprising to read that both the blacks and the whites had no knowledge of their separate roles of Southern life. They seem to be innocent of what their separate lives were.

* Excellent read, I will always think twice before eating chocolate pie!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.