Michael's Reviews > A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Aug 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 1990s, environmental-writings

** spoiler alert ** A warning: He doesn't finish the Goddamned trail! How much of a letdown is that? Anybody can walk half of the damned Appalachian Trail...well, okay, anybody can't...but, if you're going to write a Goddamned book about it, walk the whole thing! Forsooth!

Rant done. This book is fun, and since it'll be a long time before I tackle the Appalachian, I'm glad I found a fun book about it. Bryson writes well, and this book is full of fun, odd facts about both the Appalachian Trail and the DNR. And hiking in general. Fun, but a letdown in the end...then again, perhaps the POINT is that his quest was left incomplete. But, c'mon, that bookish lady I worked with in the University Writing Center walked the whole thing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Woods.

message 1: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Sep 01, 2010 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eh?Eh! I know! He flaked and then wrote his book anyway! Well...it does take preparation and it's quite a feat, but yeah, he should've titled this An Incomplete Walk in the Woods.

Michael Yeah. It doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but at least it isn't BLATANT DECEPTION.

I see you are hell-bent upon destroying my "reviews I like but nobody else" shelf. . . then again, I might just rename the shelf. "Reviews Eh! likes and i do to."

Eh?Eh! They're pretty good. It's not true the nobody liked them, they just didn't have a good marketing campaign.

Michael Damn, I'm never good with marketing. I've gone indie again after a several-month stint on the "best reviewers" board. *sigh* So much for the free books, Goodsreads groupies, and countless other perks of being a best reviewer.

On the other hand, now I can go back to telling everyone how inconsequential the voting system is.