faeriemyst's Reviews > Present Danger

Present Danger by Susan Andersen

Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: did-not-finish, romantic-suspense
Read in June, 2007

I got to page 206 then decided to stop reading the book; I had to face it, I wasn't enjoying it overly much. At over the halfway point, the story neither had much romance nor suspense to keep me reading, and really, I wasn't attached to any of the characters and didn't care what happened, I might as well stop while I'm ahead. I also had a hard time reading this because Aunie and Lola had their accents phonetically spelled for the reader, so it could repeatedly be beaten into the reader's head that one character is apparently from Scarlett O'Hara's Atlanta (and not present-day Atlanta) and the other hails from Jamaica; I get it, they have accents, move on. One other thing, the descriptions of Aunie's perfect and petite looks became nauseating, and low-and-behold, she doesn't see what the big deal is! Puh-lease! I rather have a heroine vain than oblivious. Aunie was such a Mary Sue I could gag. I was disappointed that the Pacific Northwest didn't play into the book much, or at least as far as I read. Oh well. The author is going to have to do a better job to keep me reading another book of hers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Present Danger.