Melindeeloo's Reviews > Daysider

Daysider by Susan Krinard

Aug 17, 13

bookshelves: arc, paranormal-romance, paranormal-romance-vampire
Read in August, 2013

3 stars = pretty good. Daysider is the first full length foray into Krinard's complex `vampire apocalypse' Nightsider world which was introduced in the prequel "Halfway to Dawn" ( from Holiday with a Vampire 4). Krinard continues with her enemies-to-lovers theme as both of her characters, a half human/vampire Dhampir agent for the humans and a day-walking vampire for the vampire Nightsiders, come together on a scouting mission centered around a splinter Nightsider colony that popped up in neutral territory.

I like both of the leads who are on the fringes of their own worlds, and the initial enmity between the pair is a nice tension builder. I did like the book, but Krinard has so much going on in the background that this would have probably worked better in a more urban fantasy romance framework because the relationship doesn't really get developed past the physical before the `I love yous' and the culmination of the conflict and the big reveal of the conspiracy in background part of the plot ends up being pretty info-dump-y.

Still I did enjoy the story enough to go back and check out the prequel, and I think to clarify the world a bit more I would like to see another story set within a Nightsider city, maybe between a human serf and a progressive Bloodmaster, because I'd like a better idea as to how that part of the `world' works.

ARC via NetGalley - I received no compensation for my review and my opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daysider.

08/12/2013
95.0% "I have enjoyed this, but the last little bit has bogged down in the background plot politics..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melindeeloo I've had good luck with Nocturnes too, but I think that they are getting sort of squeezed out of the picture by the self pubbed stuff (sort of the same niche and the self pubbed stuff is just a bit better pricewise.)