Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > City of Fallen Angels

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: covers-to-die-for, i-own
Read from April 17 to 20, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I ahh, think that I....I don’t know....
I literally just finished this book and I’m at a loss of words to describe it. Was it brilliant? Yes! Was it fantastic? Yes! Was it worth the wait? Yes, yes, yes....lord yes! I feel like I’ve been waiting for this book an entire lifetime. Yes, that may seem weird, but that’s how I feel. There have been waits for books that I thought would kill me-Richelle Mead's Last Sacrifice being a big one- but none like this. I was happy and satisfied when City of Glass ended, but learning that Clare decided to write more books was just the icing on the cake. It’s been a while between books, but this was more or less everything I expected and more!

It was different and yet completely the same. There’s no way to pretend that the characters haven’t changed--that they’re not different and that everything that went into the storyline and plot of the first 3 books hasn’t changed. That chapter of the series is over and a new dawn has emerged (yes, cheesy, I know, but sue me).
The characters were still the amazing, incredible people that stole my heart throughout the first 3 books and being with them again was a lot like coming home from a long trip. I must say---I thought Jordan was an awesome inclusion! I always thought Maia’s ex was a real jerk, but he’s nothing like I thought or expected and I love that.
I will admit that I did miss seeing more of Clary and Jace. They’re still my fave everything of this series, fave characters, fave couple, but I still loved the book regardless. It was so strange getting such an in-depth look into Simon and following him the most. Obviously the books have always changed POV’s, jumping back and forth, but it’s always been fixed mostly on Clary, whereas this time it was more Simon than anything else. And yet... I didn’t have a problem with that.
I love Simon--always have--and even though I never wanted him to be the one Clary ended up with, I still wanted the best for him. He’s still the same great Simon he’s always been, but he’s slightly different too. I think he’s got a long way to go and there’s a lot of growth that I think will happen to him. I can’t wait to see though...

It’s odd, when the last book ended, if anyone had asked me, I’d have been one of the few people who actually said they wanted Maia to be with Simon, but after this book it’s plain to see that Izzy is the one that for him! Perhaps I’m late to the party, but it always seemed to me that she was a bit much for him and (even though I love her, heart and soul) I didn’t believe she was right for him. I honestly thought that Maia and he would have made a better couple, but after this book I’ll never think that way again. Perhaps it was Jordan coming into the storyline and seeing how he and Maia were/are, but I finally looked and realised that Simon and Isabelle really have something. There’s so much more to Izzy than we’ve seen and I think that Simon may actually break through her defences and worm his way into her heart if she lets him!
Oh, and it goes without saying that I want Maia and Jordan back together too. Hello? Weren’t they just perfect together? The issues they have and Maia wanting to rip him to shreds aside.

I was sad to see so many issues for Clary and Jace in this book, but I can’t say I was surprised either. I knew Cassandra Clare wouldn’t just let them be. It seems like they’ve been through so much, but of course it’s not the end for them, no sir-ee. There are more problems facing them and new struggles, but I don’t doubt for a second that they can get through it.....somehow. That’s not to say that I didn’t love every single moment they were together, because I did. I absolutely did! The moments between Clary and Jace were electric. Every time they’re together, every kiss, every time they touch, things just sizzle. I’ve loved a lot of book couples over time, but none compared to them. They’re like no other. You can’t deny that they’re made for one another, you can’t miss the chemistry they have. It’s truly impossible not to see and feel. They just go together so well, they both make each other better. Jace makes Clary stronger, and she’s his whole world. She means he world to him and it makes me giggly inside (Yeah, yeah, yeah....I went there =D)

This book was perfectly paced and the ending was a heart-stopping roller coaster ride. So much happened and I was on the edge of my seat, wanting to see how Simon, Jace and Clary would get out of things. I couldn’t believe that Lilith was trying to bring Sebastian back. There’s no one who deserves to stay dead more than him...well, perhaps expect Valentine.
The ending of this book was jaw dropping. I. Could. Not. Believe. It! Still can’t, if I’m honest here. I cannot believe that Sebastian is alive again and what he’s done to Jace. It’s shocking, it’s exciting, it’s heart-breaking, it’s everything I didn’t want, but at the same time I CANNOT wait to see what’s going to happen next.
The next book is going to be a showstopper--I can so tell—and I can’t wait to see what happens now. Can Clary and everyone else manage to free Jace from Sebastian? Can they defeat Sebastian? Just what does this mean now?

God! I NEEEEEED the next book, like stat! Seriously, this series is just brilliant and I can’t wait for the next instalment!
Bring on the awesome!
248 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Fallen Angels.

Quotes Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Liked

Cassandra Clare
“But I watch my brothers give their hearts away and I think, Don’t you know better? Hearts are breakable. And I think even when you heal, you’re never what you were before.”

Cassandra Clare
“You're the first Shadowhunter I've ever met."
“That’s too bad,” said Jace, “since all the others you meet from now on will be a terrible letdown.”

Cassandra Clare
“He's my neophyte Downworlder to mock and boss around, not yours.”

Cassandra Clare
“No. That's Clary; shes's my best friend." Simon pocketed his phone. "And she has a boyfriend. Like, really, really, really has a boyfriend. The nuclear bomb of boyfriends. Trust me on this one.”

Cassandra Clare
“I suppose you've always been amazing at this stuff."- Clary
"I was born amazing." - Jace”

Cassandra Clare
“I love you Clary. More then I ever-- God. More than i probably should. You know that, don't you?”

Cassandra Clare
“You're just worried they'll hire a male instructor and he'll be hotter than you."
Jace's eyebrows went up. "Hotter than me?"
"It could happen," Clary said, "You know, theoretically."
"Theoretically the planet could suddenly crack in half, leaving me on one side and you on the other, forever and tragically parted, but I'm not worried about that either. Some things," Jace said, with his customary crooked smile, "are just too unlikely to dwell upon.”

Cassandra Clare
“And then there was you. You changed everything I believed in. You know that line from Dante that I quoted to you in the park? 'L'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle'?"

Her lips curled a little at the sides as she looked up at him. "I still don't speak Italian."

"It's a bit of the very last verse from Paradiso - Dante's Paradise. 'My will and my desire were turned by love, the love that moves the sun and the other stars.' Dante was trying to explain faith, I think, as an overpowering love, and maybe it's blasphemous, but that's how I think of the way I love you. You came into my life and suddenly I had one truth to hold on to - that I loved you, and you loved me.”

Cassandra Clare
“So what was that all about?"
"I think," Jace said, "that she asked if she could touch my mango."
"She said that?"
Jace shrugged. "Yeah, then she gave me her number.”

Cassandra Clare
“You know, some people think Shadowhunters are just myths. Like mummies and genies." Kyle grinned at Jace. "Can you grant wishes?"

"That depends," he said. "Do you wish to be punched in the face?”

Cassandra Clare
“So you're trying to make her happy despite the fact that the reason she's unhappy in the first place is you," said Simon, not very kindly. "That seems contradictory, doesn't it?"
"Love is a contradiction," said Jace.”

Cassandra Clare
“Aren’t they supposed to be hiring someone else to train me full-time anyway?”
“Yes,” he said, getting up and pulling her to her feet along with him,“ and I’m worried that if you get into the habit of making out with your instructors, you’ll wind up making out with him, too.”
“ Don’t be sexist. They could find me a female instructor.”
“In that case you have my permission to make out with her, as long as I can watch.”

Cassandra Clare
“They think they're better than everyone else."
"No," said Jace. "I think I'm better than everyone else. An opinion that has been backed up with ample evidence."
Kyle looked at Simon. "Does he always talk like this?"
"Yes.”

Cassandra Clare
“And I would do it again. I love you, Jace Wayland-Herondale-Lightwood-whatever you want to call yourself. I don't care. I love you and I will always love you, and pretending it could be any other ways is just a waste of time.”

Cassandra Clare
“White for Shadowhunters is the color of funerals," Luke explained. “ But for mundanes, Jace, it’ s the color of weddings. Brides wear white to symbolize their purity.”
“I thought Jocelyn said her dress wasn’t white,” Simon said.
“Well,” said Jace, “I suppose that ship has sailed.”
Luke choked on his coffee.”

Cassandra Clare
“He looks," Simon had once said to Isabelle, "like he's thinking about something deep and meaningful, but if you ask him what it is, he'll punch you in the face.”

04/18 page 118
28.0% "Ooooh Jace *sigh*" 11 comments
04/18 page 203
48.0% "Love it!"
02/29 marked as: read

message 501: by Brooke (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooke Rennet Rachel wrote: "Honestly, I've read the first 3 books and they weren't so great so you're not really missing out. We don't get the channel that it's on here in Australia at my house, but I bought the first season ..."

No I haven't read it yet. Ive heard that it's not very good, but I have also heard that its better. I plan on getting it but I havent gotten the chanes yet. Did you think it was good?
P.S. It's cool that you live in Australia :) I'm stuck in PA (USA). We only have a really crapy book store here, so it will probably be a month or two befor I get to read it.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Brooke wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Honestly, I've read the first 3 books and they weren't so great so you're not really missing out. We don't get the channel that it's on here in Australia at my house, but I bought th..."

Honestly, it's not as good can TMI but I think it's pretty darn good. It took a while to get good, but I really enjoyed it. You get to meet some of Jace's ancestors and one who's so much like him, you can tell off the bat that they're related. Honestly, he's a riot!

Lol. Thanks. Personally, I love living in Australia and I'd never want to live anywhere else. Do you purchase books online at all? http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ is a fantastic site and the books are soooo cheap. Plus, free delivery =D I've purchased around 50 books from them and they've always been reliable and I've never had any issues. You should consider trying them......

message 503: by Brooke (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooke Rennet Thanks I'll give it a try. I've ordered once before but that's all.
Do you think that Jace's ancestor is as cute as Jace in you mindes eye? And do you like the caricters as much?

message 504: by Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) (last edited Aug 12, 2011 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Good luck =)
No one will ever be as good as Jace. He's one of a kind that boy. But Will is pretty darn hot. He's full of that sarcastic, bad boy attitude that makes Jace so great. And he has terrific lines too---some of the things he says, ahahahaha. It's like Jace, but only in the 1800's.
I don't like all the characters as much. The herione Tessa, can't really compete with Clary, but they're all great in their own way. Plus....Magnus is in it!!

Brianna I agree with u I read it awhile ago and when I think about it I still feel that way I can't wait till the next book I just no that at the end of the series Jace and Clary have to end up together they have to!!!!!!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Brianna wrote: "I agree with u I read it awhile ago and when I think about it I still feel that way I can't wait till the next book I just no that at the end of the series Jace and Clary have to end up together th..."

I can't wait until the next book either! Dying for it. Oh, yes. If Jace and Clary don't end up together I'll riot. They will though. They totally will!

message 507: by Nicole (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole Rachel wrote: "Brianna wrote: "I agree with u I read it awhile ago and when I think about it I still feel that way I can't wait till the next book I just no that at the end of the series Jace and Clary have to en..."

I will be a part of that riot! After all they've been through... how could they not be together?!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Nicole wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Brianna wrote: "I agree with u I read it awhile ago and when I think about it I still feel that way I can't wait till the next book I just no that at the end of the series Jace and C..."

I agree! To have them not together would be just wrong!

message 509: by Nicole (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole Is it May 5th yet? *weeps*

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) No. *sobs* Too far away.

message 511: by Ana (new) - rated it 1 star

Ana you like this book? ok i wanna smoke whatever u have been smoking...

message 512: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo are y'all insane

message 513: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina omg rachel...my feelings exactly!!! most of my friends gave it 4 stars...which is great, but i thought it was def worth 5 I just loved it. def. loved more of the insight on simon...although I have always liked simon, he is growing even more on me!! i just didnt have enough time to put my whole feelings down iny review why it was brilliant...and brilliant to cont. the story...you seemed to have read my mind! we can be crazy " MI" series buddies too!!

message 514: by Ebony (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ebony Great review. I love Jace and Clary. I agree that they are an amazing couple and their scenes are electric. However, I think Rose and Dimitri sizzle just that little bit more.

Naleeeenzthebookworm Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "OMG!! Rachel you can be my isane buddy cause I am literally jumping up and down with joy!!!

YAY!!"

Haha

We'll Be Insane Together :P"

Yup, Yup, Yup. Could you guys let me join this insane thing too? :)

message 516: by Nicole (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole Did you hear Cassie is making a total of five Shadowhunter series'? How. Amazing. Is. That.

RobinJozina You are the first person who writes positively about this book! I totalky agree with you :) I really like this book although I like the third onw better. Thank you for your positiveness :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 next »