Jackie's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

May 30, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, i-own-it
Read from May 24 to 30, 2010

A truly heartbreaking story. I'm almost sorry I read the "Historical Notes" at the end, because, though I constantly asked myself, "To whom is Offred telling this story, that she keeps saying, 'I don't want to be telling this story,' that she seems to be speaking to someone?" I feel as though it took some element of elegance away from the storytelling, and it's not as though you really learn anything pertinent about Offred's story from it. One could always assume that though she didn't "want to be telling this story," she survived long enough to tell it to someone.

All that aside, I find myself idolizing Margaret Atwood's ability to write in such a way that the reader follows along and "discovers" as the characters discover--their surroundings, their memories, their needs and desires, their fears, etc. I couldn't help but be pulled in, and be appropriately horrified/devastated/enraged/etc by the state that we come to know as Offred's existence. It's stories like this, and not just that, but storytelling like this, that makes any given moment spent on the act of reading such a delight.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.

05/24/2010 page 70
22.51% "My heart breaks on every page, just thinking about Offred's everyday experiences, the world in which she lives..."
show 2 hidden updates…