Karen Wong's Reviews > Boy Meets Girl: Say Hello to Courtship

Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris

F_50x66
Aug 24, 09

Read in January, 2005

or a while I was very curious to read this book Boy Meets Girl, which is the sequel to I Kissed Dating Goodbye. While I kissed Dating Goodbye gives us a radical idea of abstaining from any dating relationship, Boy Meets Girl answers the question of what to do when you have met the right person to marry: courtship. Harris gives in this book an honest look to relationship and its purpose. He gives his story on how he met his wife Shannon, courted, engaged, and married-- all to the glory of God. He also gives insights through other romantic accounts from other couples who have committed to put God first in their relationship. The book is balanced with biblical principles, practical tips, applicable wisdom, challenging truths, and heartbreaking examples which give guidelines to those who want or will court a person before getting married.
The message that Harris gives to us readers is to rethink romance in order to glorify God and not our own selves. He proposes the idea of courtship which avoids lawlessness with no boundaries and legalism with a list of do and don’ts. He proposes courtship which he defines like this: “…the term courtship…is old-fashioned, but it evokes romance and chivalry. I use it to describe not a set of rules, but that special season in a romance where a man and a woman are seriously weighing the possibility of marriage.” (p.31). Harris encourages us to have a God-centered relationship with that potential mate where the main purpose is to love God and honor Him no matter the cost involved and that is the central theme of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Meets Girl.