Bonnie's Reviews > Salt: A World History

Salt by Mark Kurlansky

May 01, 12

bookshelves: history-books
Read in February, 2012

My friends teased me a lot about reading this book. "We know you love salt!" they cried (and I do) "But reading a whole book about it?!?!?"

They had a point. Many of the historical facts were fascinating (did you know how many times salt taxes have led to revolution? did you know that the word salary comes from the Roman practice of giving soldiers money to buy salt? did you know that a surprisingly high numbers of roads and cities were based on where the salt was?). However, every time Kurlansky went in-depth on methods of extracting salt or every single kind of food ever made with salt (recipes often included!) my interest flagged.

Not exactly the most riveting read, but it has some fun tidbits and definitely drives home the point that salt is far more important than we commonly think it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashleigh (new) - added it

Ashleigh I also love salt. And I love knowing silly pointless facts :) Sounds like an interesting read I think.

Bonnie I am addicted to salt! That's part of why I picked up the book.

Susan This book was really highly recommended to me, but I haven't read it yet. I think I'll find the audiobook version now.