Shauna's Reviews > Spindle's End

Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

Aug 24, 2009

liked it
Read in August, 2009

There was much I liked about this book, and much I was frustrated with. First I felt it was too long. This is a bad sign. If the book is irresistible, I don't mind if it goes on and on. But this one was tricky, full of rogue magic that changed things willy nilly and was hard to control, characters that likewise changed prominence back and forth throughout the story, endless animal names without helpful reference points (how I am supposed to remember which was a dog, fox, cat, horse, owl, whatever?), and sentences that wander all over the place without necessarily coming back to the point it started out with. That same problem became bigger across pages--one paragraph would start a point, the next would flash back to give some history or missing background info, and at some point the story would revert to the present, but it was not always easy to tell when that happened. Despite these frustrations, I still enjoyed McKinley's imagination, her wonderful created worlds of fantasy, and the fleshing out of the Sleeping Beauty story, though told much differently than you've ever heard it before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spindle's End.