Laurie's Reviews > Mystery

Mystery by Peter Straub

Aug 24, 09

The best Holmes pastiche I’ve read—and yes, I know the character’s name isn’t Holmes, and he’s not English, and it’s half a century too late for a pastiche…but still.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystery.

message 1: by Blackbook (new)

Blackbook Well, you would know. Thanks for the quickie review.

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen This is the one with Lamont Cranston, right? (The name of the guy who is The Shadow--as in "What evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"--and no, it really was before my time, but I certainly heard a lot about it.)

I enjoyed this book a lot, when I read it, way back when. And it helped me understand something I'd read in THE POWER OF MYTH, Bill Moyers' interview series with Joseph Campbell. At one point, Campbell said, "Sentimentality is an echo of violence." (Or so I recall.) And Moyers must have had something else on his mind, because he didn't follow up on it. They went on to some other topic (so far as I could tell), and not knowing what Campbell meant really frustrated me.

Then, in MYSTERY, Lamont Cranston made it all clear when he said, "Sentimentality is a mask for violence." Not only did that help solve the mystery in MYSTERY, but I knew who killed Laura Palmer in TWIN PEAKS (yes, I am that old).

Hadn't thought of MYSTERY as a Holmes pastiche, though, so thanks.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Okay, this is weird. I just looked the book up on Amazon, and the Lamont character is not named Cranston, though I would have sworn he was (I remember thinking about "The Shadow" a lot as I read, and it seems to me there was a reference to the radio show in the book as well).

Now I'm going to have to reread the book (well, probably would have anyway, to get the Holmes pastiche).

Sorry for taking up so much space on your review page, Laurie.

message 4: by Bre (new)

Bre Neat! It has been sitting in my closet for yrs. now that you mention holmes though...