Anca 's Reviews > On seeing and noticing

On seeing and noticing by Alain de Botton

Aug 28, 09

bookshelves: summer-2009, read-in-unfamiliar-places, non-fiction
read count: idefinite

This book and I have and old relationship. Like.. real old. I've bought this book 2 years ago, the period when I started to buy books. Until now, I never got to its end. I've read it in pieces, here and there, whenever I found myself in the evening with no book started (how to start a book in the evening?...) or there were waiting rooms at the horizon etc.. Some of them I've read repeatedly due to the fresh-beginning mania of a linear reader, some I've never read. This time I got through all of them. In the honor of my old reading habit, I read the essays in no particular order.
My conclusion after a long co-existence with the book and a rambling paragraph is none in particular.
I doubt there will be another Alain de Botton book for me (particularly
Essays in Love - the essay about love was my least favourite, the tone of it, the conclusion, it's all just wrong.).
I owe him the discovery of Edward Hopper and some of his observations hit the nail on the head saying it how I couldn't/wouldn't say it before (one of the many attributes of great writers, as he -also- said). Unfortunately, in this case it's not much, i can base all that on my resonation with Botton's temperament/personality.
I can't put my finger on the unpleasant part, can't even say there actually is one, I simply think he's saying not-much; that's a lot when you're writing about what are usually boring activities as he does in this book. Not sure about another topic, though (hence my opinion on the love essay).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On seeing and noticing.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavinia (last edited Aug 28, 2009 11:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lavinia I doubt there will be another Alain de Botton book for me

Don't be so harsh on him! I found Essays in Love quite interesting - not that this is enough a reason for you to read it :)) and comparing it with On Seeing and Noticing I realize the latter doesn't actually deserve four stars, so I'm taking one back :P

How Proust Can Change Your Life: Not a Novel has been on my mental list recently, so I'm thinking of giving it a try. And The Art of Travel sounds interesting as well.

Anca oh..well, I'm stubborn about the essays in love, but both the art of travel and the Proust one may have a chance; first when I'll start some serious traveling, latter after I've read Proust. Both moments seem really far in the future, though:)