Jennifer's Reviews > Riders on the Storm: My Life with Jim Morrison and the Doors

Riders on the Storm by John Densmore

Aug 28, 09

Read in August, 2009

Going into this book, I thought Jim Morrison was a poet, a lover, and a Revolutionary. Though this is only John Densmore's side of the story (the drummer of The Doors), the book focuses on Jim's extrincities, madness, possesiveness, jealousy, and narcissistic rage. In fact, come to find out, many of The Doors' lyrics were written by fellow bandmates. Jim was just the front man; the good-looking, rocker they needed to be taken seriously.

Despite my thoughts of Jim as a free-loving, genius artist-poet of the '60s and that reputation being squashed down to a guy with some daddy issues, John Densmore's story of The Doors is entertaining and a page-turner. Reading about their developement as artists in a transitional time from the 50s to the 60s was inspirational. Their determination, unwavering. The people they met along the way and performed with, the drug binges, experiments with transcendentalism and the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi movement, and the graphic passion that came with being rockstars and having groupies - all make for an interesting read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riders on the Storm.