Jessica's Reviews > Middlesex

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

419287
Sep 26, 07

bookshelves: aborted-efforts
Recommended for: intersex readers who are amused by big quirky ethnic families

People love this book. I could not read this book. I could not get four pages into this book. It just annoyed the living crap out of me.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlesex.

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant You have to say why! That's the rules!

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Oct 05, 2007 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jessica To be fair, I didn't give this book much of a chance, but that's because it gave me a serious rash before I could try.

I'm not sure how I expected this book to begin, but launching into that unbelievably weatherbeaten genre of hilariously-quirky-intergenerational-family-saga-narrated in-folksy-tone -- to which I'm highly allergic -- was a great shock to my system. So I literally only read the first couple pages, before I started my shrieking and flinging, and honestly I have no right to any opinion at all about this book which I barely even touched.

All I could think when I tried was: Is this novel's alternate title *My Big Fat Greek Hermaphrodite*??????

Am I a huge jerk?

I'm sure that for more openminded, patient, sophisticated readers, *Middlesex* holds many rewards. As noted above, people love this book! And those people are probably not only smarter, but *better* than me.

I haven't read it, but I will disclose here that *The Virgin Suicides* is among my least favorite movies of all time, so maybe there's just some basic incompatibility here.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant I was also recently defeated by the first page of a big book, in this case Darconville's Cat - it was definately written in English but it passed my meagre comprehension at the speed of light. I read it four times. I then sold the said novel on Amazon for ten English pounds. It was revenge of sorts, but it didn't make me feel good.

pb

Lesley I liked this book, too. Maybe we weren't meant to be best friends in the entire world.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Virgin Suicides = BARF

Lesley As for the Virgin Suicides, I concur.

Jessica I feel like I have to try and read this book again, because everyone in the universe really loves it, and I really did't give it a fair chance.

Samantha Jessica, I didn't like this book at all. I diligently suffered through about 150 pages of it before finally calling it quits. The style and the story are too grandiose for my taste. It reminds me a bit of the quirky, pretentious intergenerational tedium that is _The Amazing Adventures of K & K_ (though I didn't hate _Middlesex_ quite that much). Maybe there is a correlation between lovers of _K & K_ and lovers of _Middlesex_?

Jessica Hooray!!! I am off the hook. I have no qualms about hating K&C, and you're right, everyone loves that book too, and I reacted to both with exactly the same kind of aversion.... so if it's okay for me not to read that, it must be okay for me not to read this one, either! RIGHT???

Thanks, you guys. I feel a lot better. There are a lot of other books out there I'd much rather read, and now I feel I have permission not to revisit this one. I can just stick with the Sedaris and Oedipus families to fulfill my Greekness-in-literature quota for the time being....

Laurel This book was terrible!! I agree with you! Don't bother reading it again-I read the whole thing out of boredom and when I got to the end I wondered, "what was that about?" and also, "why do so many people like this?"

Lambert Did you even read the book Jessica? You don't say what was wrong with it.

message 12: by Lily (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lily I hate it so much so far. His writing is contrived and tedious.