Amy's Reviews > Sudden Mischief

Sudden Mischief by Robert B. Parker

Aug 23, 09

bookshelves: just-for-fun, series
Recommended for: anyone who likes Spenser novels
Read in August, 2009

A really great entry in the Spenser series, Sudden Mischief tells of the unexpected (or some might call it "sudden") reappearance of Susan Silverman's ex-husband, whose name escapes me at the moment. As the former Mr. Silverman (he's changed his name to Sterling) appears to be in some trouble, Susan recruits her man Spenser to investigate.

Although the overall story is nothing new (people get killed, Spenser investigates, crimes get solved), what really makes this book one of the best Spenser novels I've read are the interactions between Spenser and Hawk. Perhaps it's because this is an emotional case for Susan, and her deep soul-searching (deep for a Spenser novel, that is) precludes the usual banter between she and Spenser; perhaps it isn't. But, whatever the reason, I laughed out loud (that's right - a gen-u-wine LOL) several times during Sudden Mischief, all during Spenser/Hawk interactions. A very good book for Hawk fans, and for anyone else who enjoys these characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sudden Mischief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ellen I had some LOL moments, too. I am a huge Robert B. Parker fan. I love the Spenser/Hawk repartee.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I've read a lot of the Spenser books, and while I've enjoyed the humor in just about all of them, this is really the only one that I can recall actually audibly laughing at. While other people where in the room, even.