Vanessa's Reviews > Real Murders

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Aug 25, 09

After reading Sookie Stackhouse and Lily Bard-two series I really like-I was interested in reading this older series of Harris' now back in print. I had mixed feelings about it.

Aurora Teagarden is a young librarian in a small satellite town near Atlanta. She is also in a group called Real Murders that studies old unsolved murders. Then Aurora finds a corpse at one of the meetings posed to look like the scene they were to discuss that night. Then more people die, all staged to look like famous crime scenes. You'd think since the members of Real Murders are all either potential victims or suspects and a fairly small group they'd be clearly delineated and memorable but most of them are bare wisps of characters that sometimes lack almost any description. One member is black. One member sells insurance and was married to the first victim. Another one is creepy, has a weird haircut and may be gay. And that's almost all you'll learn about them.

I also wasn't fond of the romance aspect. Although Harris makes Aurora out to be a spinster, she is immediately pursued by two eligible bachelors and I found that both slightly unbelievable and distracted from the story. Still, you can catch glimpses of the charm that makes Harris a cut above mystery/paranormal authors. I'll read at least one more book in this series before I decide to give it up.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Murders.