Shannon's Reviews > Enna Burning

Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

Aug 23, 09

bookshelves: youngadult
Read in August, 2009

Enna Burning, the second book by Shannon Hale, author of Goose Girl, was an even better read than its companion. In this book, the title character, Enna, discovers a talent and the reader gets to journey alongside her as she experiences the excitement, joy, confusion and pain of balancing her talent with her life.

Like Goose Girl, Enna Burning is set in Bayern, a fictional kingdom. This book finds Bayern on the brink of, and then in the midst of, war. Hale has created a believable and well conceived world and she continues to populate it with characters who are conflicted, evolving and authentic. These people are never stereotypes, always three dimensional.

In Goose Girl, we met Enna, who was a loyal friend to a princess in hiding. In this book, we come to know her much better. Perhaps I enjoyed this book more because I could relate so well to Enna. In portions of the book, Enna longs to do more than others expect of her. She longs to be active, be engaged and use her newfound gift. But she also finds that her gift alienates her. Instead of close knit community, Enna finds herself attempting to navigate life alone - and she often chooses the solitary path rather than accept the friendship freely offered by those around her.

If you enjoy fairy tales for adults, I would encourage you to read this book. Like Hale's other books, this is a book appropriate for children, yet doesn't talk down to the reader. AND it's inventive and compelling enough for adults to enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enna Burning.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Sweet Bookshelf I loved this book so much! I have read The Goose Girl many times but had never read the other Books of Bayern. I finished Enna Burning last night and am in awe! It was awesome!! So much more action and romance. So good! I love Shannon HALE!