Jessica's Reviews > Another Bullshit Night in Suck City

419287
Sep 26, 07

bookshelves: aborted-efforts
Recommended for: investment bankers/supermodels

I don't actually think this book is bad at all, but I put it in this section because I couldn't get through it, despite really, really wanting to. In my opinion, this book has the most brilliant title in recent memory, and the cover art is simply gorgeous. I so badly wanted to like it, at least enough to get through it, so I could at least carry it around with me and enjoy its black, green, and yellow loveliness!

Sadly, I could not. This probably has less to do with the book itself, which I'm sure is fine, and more with having worked in a homeless shelter and thus not being terribly interested in what goes on inside them, nor anything having to do with homeless men, be they drunk, mentally-ill, or somebody's long lost father.... I also have this weird aversion to Boston, so maybe that played into it. I kept coming up with all these weird opinions about the type of guy I imagined the author to be (has sideburns; loves Guinness, crappy bands), and deciding I didn't like him, then realizing these ideas were entirely based on my hateful stereotypes about guys from Boston, and had nothing at all to do with poor Nick Flynn, who I'm sure is a fine fellow with excellent taste in music. Anyway, all these problems sort of combined, and finally I realized that reading this book was causing me more mental anguish than I was willing to put myself through, and I threw up my hands. My unfulfilled yearning for the beautiful cover played a large role in my purchase around that time of _Black Swan Green_, which has some superficially similar elements (it's black and green) but is obviously vastly inferior (I think you might recognize this kind of phenomenon from the world of dating).

But what a great title! If you don't already spend forty hours a week focused on homeless people and the various ways they've ruined your life, maybe you should give this one a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Bullshit Night in Suck City.

Beth I love the fact that you have a category of "aborted efforts." I think I will make one of those as well. Hopefully I will be able to get through this book when I start reading it.

PanzerBunny Love love love your idea for recommends to investment bankers, and supermodels.
Cha-ching! Doll!

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Great review, Jessica! If you publish a book, I would be interested in reading it.