Sella Malin's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Aug 25, 09

I picked this book up because the cover was really pretty, and I'm really glad I did. This is truly amazing. The story is so moving; it nearly brought me to tears at several parts. The characters are very three-dimensional, complex, and believable, and the dialogue is realistic. The writing style is unique, and creative; Anderson strings together words in a very pretty way, and she writes in a hypnotic and mesmerizing manner. Everything about this book felt so real, like it was really happening as I read it. The special formatting Anderson uses to show things like repeated messages going through Lia's head has a very stunning effect on the reader. And I love the ending; while it was expected, it was still powerful. Stunning novel.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.

Quotes Sella Liked

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Another page turns on the calendar, April now, not March.

.........

I am spinning the silk threads of my story, weaving the fabric of my world...I spun out of control. Eating was hard. Breathing was hard. Living was hardest.

I wanted to swallow the bitter seeds of forgetfulness...Somehow, I dragged myself out of the dark and asked for help.

I spin and weave and knit my words and visions until a life starts to take shape.

I am thawing.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Eating plain toast will detonate her.

"I'll have some honey."

When the bread is done I scrape on a microscopic layer of it and pour a cup of coffee, black. She pretends not to listen or watch as I crunch through my breakfast. I pretend that I don't notice her pretending.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Smoke gunpowder and go to school to jump through hoops, sit up and beg, and roll over on command. Listen to the whispers that curl into your head at night, calling you ugly and fat and stupid and bitch and whore and worst of all "a disappointment." Puke and starve and cut and drink because you don't want to feel any of this.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“Here stands a girl clutching a knife. There is grease on the stove, blood in the air, and angry words piled in the corners. We are trained not to see it, not to see any of it. . . . Someone just ripped off my eyelids.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“None of [the books are] worth reading. There are no fairy tales, no faerie tails, no sword-swinging princesses or lightning-throwing gods.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter anymore.”

Laurie Halse Anderson
“I knew how much it hurt to be the daughter of people who can't see you, not even if you are standing in front of them stomping your feet.”
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* ohh i just read this! it was purty good :)

Sella Malin awesome! yeah its really good! i love the writing style, and the characters are really realistic. :D

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Yeah, the writing was amazing. :) The characters were purty good too. Except, I didn't really get the ending. I felt like all this stuff wasn't tied up. Like, what happened to ... ummm ... what's-his-face? I can't remember his name. >_< The guy from the motel.

Sella Malin Elijah? He left and went to New Mexico to live his own life, didn't he? I liked the ending, I thought it was pretty powerful (especially the last line) and I like that it left some things for us to imagine, instead of giving us all the answers ... I think the point of Elijah was mainly just to help Lia realize that she wants to get better.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Oh ... ok I guess I missed that. lol. ehh, idk. i liked the book, i just didn't feel the ending really tied things up. it felt like it just ... stopped. you know what i mean?

Sella Malin Lol. :) I guess the ending was kind of abrupt, but I liked it. haha.

♫Krista♫ So far I love the book! The characters and the writing style rock!