LuAnn's Reviews > Famous Family Nights

Sep 11, 2009

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 2009

Several months ago, I was invited to participate in a book project by fellow-LDS author Anne Bradshaw. Her idea was to collect a series of short essays by other well-known LDS artists on the topic of family home evening. I didn’t know how the project would turn out, but I wrote my essay, helped her obtain essays from both Alan and Amy Osmond who are friends of mine, then sat back to see how the entire project would come together.

This month I found out. Famous Family Nights has been released by Cedar Fort Publishers, and as soon as I got my copy, I sat down to read. What a wonderful experience this has turned out to be. Each essay has touched my heart in some way. I’ve learned new ideas to try with my own children during home evening, felt the spirit as I’ve shared in the experiences of other families, and seen how holding home evening can make a difference, even when you’re wrangling a bunch of kids who claim they don’t want to be there.

The essays in this collection come from a wide range of contributors—authors, musicians, artists, and educators among them. There are names you might know—Susan Easton Black, David Glen Hatch, Rachel Ann Nunes, and Dian Thomas to name a few. I feel lucky to have my name among the illustrious group that make up the entire list of ninety-one.

Famous Family Nights is great reading, even if you are only a family of one. Readers will discover that their family and situation is much like that of others as we all do our best to nurture and teach those around us in the basics of the gospel, while building the relationship between members of the family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Famous Family Nights.