Tiffany's Reviews > Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Aug 23, 09

bookshelves: classics, fiction, first-person, mystery, poetic-language, historical, books-i-read-for-school
Recommended to Tiffany by: It was a grade 12 English novel to read.
Recommended for: fans of literature and the printed word.
Read in January, 1990, read count: 3

Genius. That is my word for Charles Dickens, and for GREAT EXPECTATIONS. This is, by far, my favourite Dickens book. I read it first when I was 17, in my final year of high school, and I, thanks to an effectually fantastic English teacher, loved it then. As usual, Dickens gives the best names, bar none, in literature, to his characters. I think perhaps J.K. Rowling has taken a page out of his books for her own stories. This one has all the true requirements for a mystery to be solved, and I will not go into any surprises here, but to be sure, there are some good ones! He is unparalleled at discribing Victorian England, namely London, to every detail. I still use references to the Convict, Miss Havisham, Pip, and Estella, in every day usage to this day. Miss Havisham, in all her eerie creepiness, and Estella, the girl Pip grows to love, are brought to flesh in such a deliciously weird way. Don't watch the movies and think you know the story. They do not compare. Only Dickens can be Dickens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

Quotes Tiffany Liked

Charles Dickens
“Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts. I was better after I had cried, than before--more sorry, more aware of my own ingratitude, more gentle.”
Charles Dickens, Great Expectations