Meg's Reviews > Diary of a Wimpy Kid: #1-2 & Do-It-Yourself Book

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Aug 23, 09

Read in August, 2009

This goes down in history as the first novel my 6-year-old son has read to ME. I think it's a great transition from picture books to short novels, though most of the material is middle-school level and went quite over the head of my first grader. The often hilarious antics of journal narrator and 'tween' Greg are interspersed with cartoon drawings for a charming effect. Reminded me a lot of the Judy Bloom type books I used to read.

FAVORITE QUOTES:

First of all, let me get something straight: This is a JOURNAL, not a diary. I know what it says on the cover, but when Mom went out to buy this thing I SPECIFICALLY told her to get one that didn't say "diary" on it. Great. All I need is some jerk to catch me carrying this book around and get the wrong idea. (followed by a drawing of a bully beating him up and yelling "Sissy!")

Let me just say for the record that I think middle school is the dumbest idea ever invented. You got kids like me who haven't hit their growth spurt yet mixed in with gorillas who need to shave twice a day.

Today at school we got assigned to reading groups. They don't come right out and tell you if you're in the Gifted group or the Easy group, but you can figure it out right away by looking at the covers of the books they hand out. (followed by a cartoon of two book covers - one titled "Einstein as a Child" and the other "Bink Says BOO!")

Mom made the chainsaw guy show us where the exit was, and that was the end of our haunted house experience right there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

dateDown_arrow    newest »