Emily's Reviews > What I Thought I Knew: A Memoir

What I Thought I Knew by Alice Eve Cohen

Jul 18, 14

bookshelves: biography-memoir
Recommended for: pretty much anyone
Read in July, 2009

I read this book in an afternoon. Here's the premise, from the back of the book: Cohen, age 44, "starts experiencing mysterious symptoms. After months of tests, X-rays and hormone treatments for menopause, she was diagnosed with an abdominal tumor and sent for an emergency CAT scan that revealed the cause of her symptoms. She was six months pregnant." The odyssey that follows proves that truth really is stranger than fiction. More importantly, it's the story of a woman who finds that the absolutes in her life keep changing, who faces everything that happens with warmth, strength and a wicked sense of humor. Cohen lays it all out there, all her fears, her roadblocks, the reaction of her fiance and adopted daughter, doctors etc. This could be the stuff of a Lifetime Original Movie, but Cohen's brutal honesty and wit kept me turning pages as fast as I could. You don't have to be a mother or a wife or middle aged or even female to appreciate this book. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Thought I Knew.