Melody's Reviews > One of Ours

One of Ours by Willa Cather

Aug 25, 09

Recommended to Melody by: Darsa M.
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Goodness. This is a book that often feels plodding when one is reading, but in retrospect (even only an hour on) it's so clear and crystalline and lovely that one knows that it will stay with one forever. Claude is the quintessential flawed hero who makes bad choices and fails to understand himself until it is nearly too late. He is nestled in his setting of pre=WWI America like a filbert in a shell. The war brings him into his own but at a cost. This book is truly tragic but I'm better for having read it. I don't know if I can bear to read it again, but I'll always be glad that Darsa strong-armed me into it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Ours.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got VOICES and GIFTS from the library today.

Melody GIFTS was a little much for me in parts. Of the three, it's my least favorite but it is the linchpin of the series in terms of backstory. And you know that my least favorite UKL is still pretty damn good. :-D

VOICES has one of my favorite UKL characters ever, Memer.

I'll be interested to hear what you think, as always.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

"This is a book that often feels plodding when one is reading, but in retrospect (even only an hour on) it's so clear and crystalline and lovely that one knows that it will stay with one forever."

The first time I read it, I would only read it for about 20 minutes each night before bed. It felt plodding at first, just as you describe, but then I realized later that that allowed me to savor it. There just isn't any rushing through it; you don't want to miss the words.

I know it is tragic; I suppose I should have warned you. I'm glad you read it, thank you. I'm about half-way through GIFTS, by the way. I'm alternating between that and SHELF DISCOVERY.