Krystle's Reviews > Snow White and Rose Red

Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia C. Wrede

Aug 23, 09

Read in August, 2009

I absolutely loved Patricia Wrede’s Enchanted Forest Chronicles when I read them in middle school so when I saw this in the store, I just thought I’d try it out. You know how I’m a sucker for pretty covers, I couldn’t pass this up. Just look at it! Haha. I love the colors, the girl, her, the mood and atmosphere of the image, and even the font! It’s so pretty! Not to mention it has some relevance to the story so it’s awesome as well.

Snow White and Rose Red was a fun read. It stayed very true to the original tale, but the author worked her own magic on it to expand it into a smoother, connected, and well rounded story. I love how she used some old figures throughout history and placed them in the book. It helped give it a more firm base in reality. Snow White (Blanche) and Rose Red (Rosamund) are likable characters with their own distinct personalities, though they did tend to blur together once in a while. The romance right at the end was a bit sudden but it was dealt with more on the subtle side so you don’t have to worry about it being a bother at all.

The writing was great. Wrede’s writing in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles were of a humorous, witty nature, while this one is more on the straightforward serious side. At times it reminds me of Diana Wynne Jones’s but not quite. There are a few instances were her descriptions could have used a bit more elaboration, but it wasn’t enough to detract from the reading experience. The book had a nice even pace throughout it that while wasn’t action packed, wasn’t near to being draggy.

One area that was a bit of a throw off was the language used in the dialogue. Sure it’s set in Elizabethan times so of course they’d speak like that but it’s sort of jarring on your senses going from smooth flowing modern day prose to “Dost thou know why?” I got used to it as the story progressed but that was a bit of stumble when I first started reading it. I felt that it wasn’t consistent at times too but eh, not enough for me to put too much of demerit on it.

If you wanted to read a fairy tale that’s simple, sweet, and doesn’t veer off in crazy tangents away from the original then this would be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow White and Rose Red.