Adrienne's Reviews > Daughter of the Forest

2087365
Oct 08, 13

bookshelves: library-loan
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

Such a gem to read and have on your bookshelf, full of magic and mysticism, love and romance. One the most beautifully crafted books I've read in a long time, the story line is very simple and has been written about in other reviews ,what makes it extra special is the voice of the narrator Sorcha (sor-ca), she tells her story with such a simple yet very emotive voice that can bring the reader to tears in just a few beautifully put together words. Altho this is a hefty book it didn't seem to matter, I was transported in one swoop to Sorchas home Sevenwaters in Ireland to a land filled with greenery and trees and magic and then when a twist in her story takes her to England to a place filled with greenery and trees and evil from which Sorcha requires protection. I toiled with Sorcha, cried with her and fell in love when she did (altho being young and niave she missed the signs). Her story takes some marvellous and sometimes gripping and sometimes sad twists and turns and for one so young her burdens were many (as is so in fairy tales and stories of Myth and Legend) but she was oh so strong and brave and committed to her path and despite being sometimes insecure and emotionally out of her depth she did remarkably well. I loved this story and really look forward to reading the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Forest.

11/09/2009 page 1
11/11/2009 page 95
16.96% "Fantastic! a true storytellers story." 1 comment
11/14/2009 page 220
39.29% "I'm finding the story between Socha and her brothers really sad." 4 comments
11/15/2009 page 292
52.14% "magical and marvelous" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rane I cried with this book, but also got royaly PO'd over the rape scene *grr*

Adrienne I guess it's difficult to re-tell/adapt an existing story, and especially so with traditional myths/folk-lore, too sanitized and the essence of the story is diluted forever.

message 3: by new_user (last edited Aug 23, 2009 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

new_user Yeah, this is definitely not sanitized, LOL. But it's not gratuitous or contrived either. The whole story is seamless. I never got the sense it was just a retelling either. Marillier makes the legend her own, so that it's nearly unrecognizable. She fleshes out all the characters, creates lives, families, settings, etc. :D Her stories do tend to be moving. Her characters go through a lot (else they wouldn't be heroes, LOL).

Adrienne I'm lookng forward to reading this, fortunately our library has the original trilogy plus Heir to Sevenwaters.

new_user LOL. I guess I never noticed the size. The type is big though, isn't it? I don't think you'll notice the pages. ;)

Adrienne My immeadiate reaction when the librarian passed it to me was a rather startled Oh! LOL, but you are of course right the print's not small so I don't think i'll notice it too much. I think I'm going to enjoy reading this.

Rane *brings out the huge tissue boxes for Adrienne*

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Another one I need to pull off the tbr pile.

Adrienne I've started reading this, this morning. I like the way it's first person POV. So far its a nice,easy, flowing read. Hope I don't get to the tearful parts whilst on public transport tho' otherwise they'll be carting me off for treatment.. I'm not a quiet sniffler.

new_user LOL, Adrienne. You weren't on the train, were you?

Adrienne Fortunately for me I wasn't, this one's a maker of wobberly lips tho,I'm finding a single sentence'll set me off on the tearful trail. If I tell you I was very nearly removed from a performance of Miss Saigon for noisy crying you'll know what I mean (spent nearly the whole performance with a contorted face biting my lips and left with an horrendous headache)

message 13: by new_user (last edited Nov 16, 2009 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

new_user Oh, I know! I always get a headache when I hold in my tears! >< Poor Adrienne. They should take that as a compliment on their performances, LOL. Hmph!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm really glad to hear that you liked this one, Adrienne.

Adrienne Thanks Danielle, now I can't wait to read Son of the Shadows.

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Awesome Review Adrienne, I have all the books but haven't wanted to pick up Son of the Shadows after crying so much with Daughter of the Forest ;_;

Adrienne Thanks Rane, I read an excerpt in the back of DoTF and now really want to find out 'what happens next' :) Know what you mean about the crying tho' I think this is the only book that's had me in tears 'in a least expect it to place' hope that makes sense.

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Adrienne wrote: "Thanks Rane, I read an excerpt in the back of DoTF and now really want to find out 'what happens next' :) Know what you mean about the crying tho' I think this is the only book that's had me in tea..."

Perfect sense! I do wanna find out what happens to all the brothers though.....

message 19: by BJ Rose (new) - added it

BJ Rose Great review, Adrienne! You've drawn me in - this has been on my wishlist for months. Looks like it's time to move it to TBR - which for me means, go out and get it!

message 20: by new_user (last edited Nov 23, 2009 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

new_user Oh, I'm so glad you liked it, Adrienne! Your review is spot on. Sorcha does carry a lot of burdens. She really is a "heroine." Oh, I love the hero of the second book. *_*

Rane, I think I know how you feel. It's stressful to feel that much emotion. I'm more willing to do it with novels for some reason.

Rose, since you liked Abe's Drakon series I think you would like this. They're very different. DoTF is more in depth, but they're both romantic and beautifully written.

Brandy *Ahviel* the second book is my favorite. I am so glad you liked it

Adrienne Rose, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it:) the magical and mystical parts were woven into the story very well and altho I've read a couple of quick reads since (of a totally different genre) this book is still very fresh in mind.

Adrienne NU and Brandy, thank you. I can't wait for the second book to arrive at the Library, I'm guessing the story is going to be as moving as Sorchas the excerpt I read certainly made me feel all the tension and magical under currents of DoTH.

Brandy *Ahviel* Adrienne wrote: "NU and Brandy, thank you. I can't wait for the second book to arrive at the Library, I'm guessing the story is going to be as moving as Sorchas the excerpt I read certainly made me feel all the ten..."

yeah it is just as moving. The tird book was alright but you get some understanding. The fourth book is good too. The fifth book comes out next year..... These are books worth buying the are GREAT rereads

new_user Oh yeah, they're definitely rereads. So beautifully written. I really liked the third book too. It's very different from the first two stories because of the heroine. She's kind of an underdog.

The second book is a little faster paced. It's a really good read. :D

Kathy ok, I've decided. I'm going to finish book 2 in Drizzt and move to book 2 in this series, Son of Shadows.

new_user Yay, Kathy! I hope you like it! Did you like the first book?

Kathy hi NU! - yes, liked the first book - only thing, for me, is I tend to lean towards more "action" in my romances. However, the book was well written and I even teared up a few times. I jump back and forth between romance and fantasy anyway so it was time for a "jump". :-)