Brooke's Reviews > Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat

Hip Hop Speaks to Children by Nikki Giovanni

Sep 20, 2009

bookshelves: poetry, listening-center, childrens-lit
Recommended to Brooke by: world's largest book store in toronto
Read in September, 2009

My students are loving this book! (And I really like it, too!) We started out the year listening to a poem about dreams, written by a high schooler, and Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech, "I have a dream," both of which are included in the book. We picked out sentences, then phrases, and finally words that stood out to us in the poem. After listening to it so many times, we tried to read the poem along with the CD. The students instinctually wanted to read expressively, even adding hand motions and facial expressions as they read along. For many of them, the poem was "too fast", but I'm hopeful that listening to and reading along with the poems will help them to build fluency. Since then, the listening center has been in high demand! It's exciting to watch the kids' lips as they move along with the poems. The book has a nice mixture of older and newer poems/raps/songs. Some of them are read by the poet him/herself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hip Hop Speaks to Children.