Michael's Reviews > Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Sep 26, 07

Recommended for: adventurous types
Read in March, 2004

This book is a great and gripping read. It revolves around many characters and tragedy and moves at a pace that keeps you dialed in. I have liked Jon Krakauer since he was writing for Outside magazine. (Side note, if you like this book, check out "Out of the Noosphere: Adventure, Sports, Travel, and the Environment: The Best of Outside Magazine") This book talks about the insanity of mounting Everest and the fatal ambition that runs through so many extremists. Aligned with the theme of Daedalus and his son Icarus who flies too close to the sun. Krakauer is left with this same depth of low as Daedalus after being part of a climb that took the lives of so many. In my experience with diving it is the spot on parallel of competition freediving and deep divers who make that extra few feet, and then decide, ok I made it, let's push it further! Read Pippin Ferreras' book "The Dive" for a similiar lump in your throat read, albeit not written with the craftsmanship of Krakauer. This book reads quick and keeps you on edge throughout. The movie is a great follow-up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into Thin Air.