Mel's Reviews > First Drop of Crimson

Aug 22, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: total-waste-of-my-time, pnr
Read from February 08 to 11, 2010

I’m sorry to say but: this was NOT good. I gave this 2,5 stars and I'm still wondering whether it isn’t too generous.
Was this really Jeaniene Frost? What happened to the woman who wrote such a fresh and exciting book with Halfway to the Grave?
Granted: I wasn’t the biggest Night Huntress series fan. So many nice ideas but nothing really fleshed out (minimal world building, thin plot, flat secondaries, etc.) But I came into these spin off series expecting a PNR novel. The only thing important to me was a remotely believable plot and a likable h/h couple.

I got none of that.

The whole story was one huge plot hole. Out of left field, unbelievable and convenient are words that come to mind.
And Denise deserves a new acronym: TFATL (Too F*cking Annoying To Live). Pardon my French but you’ll excuse me for it after you’ve read the book. Could she be any more stupid?

I really don’t get how Spike #2 ... I mean... Spade could have fallen for her. And not because I hated her guts, but really: it isn’t explained! At all. Why did they have such a connection? What was the attraction based on? What do they like about each other?

I have already accepted that creating an engaging and unpredictable multilayered plot isn’t one of Frost’s strong points. But until now she did manage to aptly describe the attraction between her h/h couple. This time however, the attraction was unfounded and the angst was forged to make the love story ‘more exciting’.

First Drop of Crimson was a bunch of PNR clichés and a stupid heroine put together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Drop of Crimson.

02/08/2010 page 67
18.06% "Note to self: it's a PNR. It's about ROMANCE. It shouldn't matter if the plot makes no sense. At all. Don't fret Mel!" 16 comments
02/09/2010 page 190
51.21% "Okay... I don't want to use the words 'Sherrilyn Kenyon' just yet.. but we're getting close. And Denise annoys the hell out of me!" 18 comments
02/09/2010 page 228
61.46% "It's official: Jeaniene Frost= Sherrilyn Kenyon" 34 comments
02/10/2010 page 275
74.12% "Denise. You are STUPID." 25 comments
02/15/2016 marked as: read

message 51: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze LOL!

message 52: by Buggy (new) - added it

Buggy Hah ha Great review Mel, now tell us how you really feel!! :)

Ariana :) Nice. I think you said everything quite well. I really didn't get the whole Denise ending thing, her personality didn't seem to fit to what she was and everything seemed a bit random. I did like seeing Cat and Bones again though.

message 54: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Thanks girls.

I found the whole book random to be honest. And I wasn't all that blown away by Cat and Bones' appearance. It felt weird. And like a much needed cameo to give the story the push that it so desperately needed...

Ariana Suprisingly, it looks like quite a few people liked it.

*glares*

I bet they're the same people that like Seth and Georgina..........

Gemma After reading your review I have to agree. I knew you didn't care for the Darkhuntress books so I thought maybe that was why you didn't like this one. I take it back! I would have handed Denise over to Web or Raum in a heartbeat (or not as I would have been a vampire)

message 57: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Hey now, I try to be objective!

message 58: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Fake heartbeats count too, btw.

message 59: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia LMAO Ariana! When in doubt blame the Seth/Georgina team.... well.... they do like Seth and Georgina together.... they could be capable of a great many other heinous crimes.

message 60: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel LOL indeed.

message 61: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia I still haven't bothered to pick up the new Georgina book. I just really cant handle being pissed off to the Seth/Georgina bullshit level right now. X(

message 62: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel I think you should wait for Georgina #6. That one must be good because it's the series ending so it make number 5 less annoying. Although really: I don't hate Seth, I think I just hate Goergina. She is so dense! Check out this review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 63: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia WARNING! EXTREME LANGUAGE AND SPOILERS AHEAD::

::BIG sigh::

.......... WHAT THE FUCK MEAD!? WHAT THE FUCK!?

YOU COULD HAVE ATLEAST KILLED SETH OFF OR HAD GEORGINA FOOL AROUND WITH ROMAN... OR MAYBE HAVE FOUND SOME LOOPHOLE WITH CARTER BEING AN ANGEL BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I honestly don't want to read either this or the last book because:

A) Seth has not been killed, moved to Siberia, or marked off the list of those vying for Georgina's "heart" (aka vagina).

B) Georgina has become TSTL

C) I will punch every infant within a 8967468975 mile radius if Seth and Georgina end up together.... which will most likely happen. Why waste an entire series of your main character turning into a whiney, stupid, hypocritical, bitch over a pretentious scumbag if they aren't going to end up together in the end?

This really makes me lose hope for the romantic outcomes of her other series'.

message 64: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Infants be ware!

The TSTL part was what annoyed me most. I don't even mind Seth. I mind Georgina with Seth because she gets extra whiney. And really: why did Mead have to castrate Roman?

message 65: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Oh. My. God.

Do not tell me that Roman goes around pining after Georgina? UGH! That's it. Babies are being punched tonight!

message 66: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Pine pine pine.

Those babies need to take up some jujitsu.

message 67: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia ::throws punch::

They really should. This is just too easy.

::punch, punch::

message 68: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze ::juggling flying babies::

Stop it, you madwoman!

message 69: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel *spoiler*
Well it wasn't so much pining as being (not too actively) in pursuit of her. He was so understanding and patient. Not the Roman we know and love!

message 70: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Funny how we only liked him with that evil, murderous streak...

message 71: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Evil and murderous? I was calling it 'passionate'...

message 72: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Exactly! He needs to get some more "passion" and off Seth!

message 73: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Hmmm I don't really know what you're talking. I finished this book in 2 days because it was so good and i wanted to know what would happen next. The reason they had a connection is because they both had lost someone special and they were both trying to recover. Also they were attracted to each other the first time they saw each other. But she was off limits to spade cuz she was cats friend. I'm not trying to change your opponion on the book, cuz I loved it and I'm happy I read it and that's all that matters lol

message 74: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Well Sara, no matter how hard you try, you can't change my opinion, LOL. I understand what you're saying but I don't think it was done in a believable way at all. And the plot with Raum was downright silly.
Still: to each his own, right?

Ariana Each to his own but I'm also still firmly on the side of itwascompletelylackingineverything.

And Spade had potential too. Whadda killjoy.

Roman was hot in his evil, murderous streak because he was being an alpha wetdream, plus he was kinda justified in what he was doing AND he said he would give it up for whatsherface.

message 76: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Whatsherface. Lol.

message 77: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel itwascompletelylackingineverything

I think this is a great name for a new GR shelf ;)

message 78: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze I second the motion.

Ariana Hmmm...that's a good idea!

message 80: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Hmmm I could put Shiver on that shelf!!!

message 81: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Oh, the book everybody has been raving about?

message 82: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia UGH! yes, even though I cannot see how!? I couldn't stand it.

message 83: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze There are very mixed reviews on that one. People either love it beyond all love, or they think it's a pile of drivel. I think I'd fall into the latter category, so I've been leaving it alone.

message 84: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel It's YA so I've been leaving it alone too. I know I promised to get over my juvenile reluctance to reading YA novels (excuse the pun) and said I would at least try Vampire Academy, but since that one has been getting mixed reviews too I think it's best I leave the whole genre alone for a while...

message 85: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia No, no, no! Read Vampire Academy!!! You won't be put off until the 4th book. lol

message 86: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Oh yeah, the magic 'Mead pulls something stupid in the 4th'-syndrome? Maybe I should wait till the last one comes out?

Ariana Ack! She does it again? I can only guess what's going to happen with the Thorn Queen series then. Bleck!

message 88: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia I'm absolutely terrified that she is going to
(pardon my french, but there is no other effective way to say this)
Fuck everything up HUGE. D:

Ariana LOL yes I know what you mean, and I can only imagine how and with WHOM. I think I'll wait and find out if she pulls a Georgina on the Vamp Acadamy series and if she does, then I'm not going anywhere near another series of hers.

message 90: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze The only series I love of hers is Dark Swan. I, too am petrified she'll fuck it up. Vamp Academy was getting somewhat better as I went along, but her plots are SO predictable. It's no fun when I know all the answers ahead of time.

message 91: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Okay: definitely holding off reading VA now...
Didn't Mead say there was an 'oh my God, what?!?'-moment coming up in either Dark Swan #3 or #4? I think it was #3. She did the whole Seth/Maddy thing in GK #3 right?

Ariana Bah! That's not fair, I'm going on strike *pout*

message 93: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Yeah, she basically admitted to following a formula in all her series.

My hope is: Since Dark Swan is only supposed to have 4 books, maybe that will accelerate the angst and make it tolerable.

message 94: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia ::Sigh::

Mariana isn't denise the one who gets married in 'one foot in the grave' ?

message 96: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Yep, that's her.

Mariana well , than will she stay with spade or randy ? o.o

Ariana Maybe you should finish reading the Cat and Bones series first so you get an idea of what's going on in this one...it's pretty important..::hint::

message 99: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Exactly.

Mariana right . that'll be better ;)