Mel's Reviews > First Drop of Crimson

First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: total-waste-of-my-time, pnr
Read from February 08 to 11, 2010

I’m sorry to say but: this was NOT good. I gave this 2,5 stars and I'm still wondering whether it isn’t too generous.
Was this really Jeaniene Frost? What happened to the woman who wrote such a fresh and exciting book with Halfway to the Grave?
Granted: I wasn’t the biggest Night Huntress series fan. So many nice ideas but nothing really fleshed out (minimal world building, thin plot, flat secondaries, etc.) But I came into these spin off series expecting a PNR novel. The only thing important to me was a remotely believable plot and a likable h/h couple.

I got none of that.

The whole story was one huge plot hole. Out of left field, unbelievable and convenient are words that come to mind.
And Denise deserves a new acronym: TFATL (Too F*cking Annoying To Live). Pardon my French but you’ll excuse me for it after you’ve read the book. Could she be any more stupid?

I really don’t get how Spike #2 ... I mean... Spade could have fallen for her. And not because I hated her guts, but really: it isn’t explained! At all. Why did they have such a connection? What was the attraction based on? What do they like about each other?

I have already accepted that creating an engaging and unpredictable multilayered plot isn’t one of Frost’s strong points. But until now she did manage to aptly describe the attraction between her h/h couple. This time however, the attraction was unfounded and the angst was forged to make the love story ‘more exciting’.

First Drop of Crimson was a bunch of PNR clichés and a stupid heroine put together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Drop of Crimson.

02/08/2010 page 67
18.06% "Note to self: it's a PNR. It's about ROMANCE. It shouldn't matter if the plot makes no sense. At all. Don't fret Mel!" 16 comments
02/09/2010 page 190
51.21% "Okay... I don't want to use the words 'Sherrilyn Kenyon' just yet.. but we're getting close. And Denise annoys the hell out of me!" 18 comments
02/09/2010 page 228
61.46% "It's official: Jeaniene Frost= Sherrilyn Kenyon" 34 comments
02/10/2010 page 275
74.12% "Denise. You are STUPID." 25 comments

Gemma Mines has just been dispatched today. Let me know what you think, no spoilers. :)

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel No, don't worry.
I just started it. I haven't got any further than the excerpt on Frost's website. There's this one scene involving the big Bad and it is so cheesy. Done a zillion times in old A-movies and new B-movies. But we'll see :)

Gemma I know how you feel about Frost. :)

As you know I quite like her. I like to have a mixture of authors. :)

Hmmm Cheesy big bad. Intresting. Is he made out of Cheeder or Mozzerella or Parmasan?

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Parmasan. Nice and salty ...:D

Gemma *spulters coffee all over the screen*

Oh the double meaning, the double meaning!

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Your dirty mind missy, not mine ;)

Gemma I can't help it! I'm corrupted I tell you corrupted. (Either that its the brittish humour in me or my dark twisted sense of humor!)

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Talking about British humor: how are you liking Soulless so far?

Gemma its ok. Still a bit wierd. I'm just at the bit were Alexia has left the hive. I have an image of Gerad Butler as the werewolf dude.....

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Oh good, you're at the part the story picks up :) I thought from then on it got more interesting. And Gerard Butler... yeah! :)

message 11: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze I got the same double meaning out of that cheese comment.

We're all filthy! Yay!

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel The worst thing is: I didn't even intend it to be a dirty joke. Only after (dirty dirty!) Gem's reaction did I get it. I am innocent, really.

message 13: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze BAH!

::shaking head::

Maybe it IS the British humor thang.

message 14: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Dirty people, them Brits. Especially those Scots. *points at Gem*

Gemma and darn proud of it! :P

Josie What? When was this book released?

message 17: by Mel (last edited Feb 09, 2010 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel 9th of February. But you know my ABC: they're always early. I've ordered Lover Mine trough them :)

Josie Yes, I would definitely be ordering Lover Mine through them as well.

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Well, finished the review and can I just say: boy it was hard to keep the ranting to a minimum! I actually thought about making a Top 10 of 'most eye rolling moments' but I figured that would just take too much time...

message 20: by Shay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay Mel wrote: "Well, finished the review and can I just say: boy it was hard to keep the ranting to a minimum! I actually thought about making a Top 10 of 'most eye rolling moments' but I figured that would just ..."

Hey Mel,
I finaly got to adress your ranting in my review.
Go check it out.
Couldnt leave you hanging, now could i?!

message 21: by Mel (last edited Feb 21, 2010 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Which review? Where? I did see your reply to my rant, I'm going to reply asap. :)

message 22: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Tell us how you really feel Mel! Don't hold back!

message 23: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Well... you know me. But let's see how you feel after reading this book. Ten euros out of my pocket and two days of my life I'm never getting back. :'(

message 24: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia LMAO

I haven't even started book 3 yet.

message 25: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Spade and Denise are probably my least favorite couple, so I'm walking into this expecting to like it a little less that The Night Huntress series. Denise is so boring and does nothing exciting. Why write a book about her?

Your review is a little disappointing. I hope I don't feel the same way. I'm hoping to be surprised and enjoy it.

message 26: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Don't worry Tina, a lot of people did love this story. But I'm curious to find out if/how you'll like it (stars break down!).

message 27: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina I started it last night. I'm only on chapter 2. I hope I like it too.

message 28: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Well, I didn't like it much from the beginning. The introduction of the deaths of Denises family were illogical and out of left field, as was the way she approaced Spade. And the whole scene with the little girl? Cliché!
So I think you're good :)

message 29: by Shay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay Mel! Let thw girl decide for herself!
You go read Tina, Everything will be just fine...

message 30: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Tssssss! <:|

message 31: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia LMAO

message 32: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze That's our Mel. Always trying to influence folks!

message 33: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel I am not! She was just asking for my opinion and I told her TWICE that I think she'd like it! Pooh!

message 34: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze I'm only teasing ya.

Maybe.

:p

message 35: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Tease away. I will get my revenge. Remember: I can run faster than you :D

message 36: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Is that a nod to my rampant laziness?

message 37: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Nope. To your short legs. :D

message 38: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze You're quite a nasty giantess, aren't you?

message 39: by Mel (last edited Feb 27, 2010 02:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Who was it again that called me an Amazon? If I have the height, then I guess I should have the attitude too ;)

message 40: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Did you know that, supposedly, amazons cut off one of their breasts so that they could better shoot arrows?

Fun fact of the day. Enjoy.

message 41: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel LOL yes I heard that. I'd like to keep mine, thank you :)

message 42: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia If any strange, large, beautiful beasts, of women come up to you and ask you to join their group/club RUN AWAY HOLDING YOUR TOTS!

message 43: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel LOL, thanks for the heads up :):):)

message 44: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze Amelia wrote: "If any strange, large, beautiful beasts, of women come up to you and ask you to join their group/club RUN AWAY HOLDING YOUR TOTS!"

LOL

I was thinking that actually!!

Karyn aaaaah, i see you rant is the elongated version of my review.. and yes, love the new acronym you've created for Denise.. So apt. so apt.

message 46: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel LOL :)

message 47: by Shay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay Amelia wrote: "Did you know that, supposedly, amazons cut off one of their breasts so that they could better shoot arrows? "

Gotta love the Old days and its dedication.
They knew how to do things back then. Not like these days when chicks wont even cut off a nail to get the best shoes in the local mall sale!

hhhmmmfff!

message 48: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia LMAO Shay! It's true though! I mean they actually make their breasts bigger these days! There go our female all-star archers!

message 49: by Shay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay Amelia wrote: "LMAO Shay! It's true though! I mean they actually make their breasts bigger these days! There go our female all-star archers!"

Yeah, But think of the possibilities - nowdays we don't need to cut off our breasts, we can just shape them to better fit the arch!

message 50: by Amelia (new) - added it