Lionel's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Jul 21, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction, young-adult

Ender in Exile rekindled my interest in the Ender franchise, so I'm working my way back through the ones I've already read, and will be reading the ones I haven't read yet as well (mostly in the sister ...Shadow series).

I reread Game almost immediately after rereading the original novella again in First Meetings in Ender's Universe. The original story is still very good, but it was much improved by the addition of the back story that comprises the first half of the novel, where we see Ender's life at home briefly before he's drafted, and we meet his siblings. We also get to see his introduction to Battle School, and how he came to command his army. The novel also expands on and adds depth too his supporting cast at the school, and it gives a name and a face to the nameless enemies from the novella.

Most of the second half of the novel is the same as the novella it came from, with details (buggers, supporting cast) added at appropriate points. The novel also adds a coda to set up Speaker for the Dead, and the coda, in turn, was great expanded later to good effect in Ender in Exile.

Highly, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.