Dhuaine's Reviews > Thraxas Under Siege

Thraxas Under Siege by Martin Scott

Aug 23, 09

bookshelves: comic-fantasy, fantasy
Read in August, 2009

Almost direct continuation of Thraxas at War. It took me three years to get to this book. I don't know whether I changed too much or the quality dropped so much, but this volume was a real torture to muddle through.

Quick synopsis: Turai is under siege. Orcs surrounded the city. Inside, more and more victims fall to winter malady, a powerful magic item needs to be found, and an important card game is coming up.

Thraxas Series has been known - at least to me - as rather good comic fantasy. Now the comedy aspect seems to be less pronounced; sometimes the situations and Thraxas's bragging are even annoying. For more than a half of the book, the plot doesn't seem to move in any concrete direction, instead wandering in zig-zags and circles around. There is no catching point, nothing interesting enough and worthy to turn the pages. It's all rather tiring and I kept glancing at page count, not willing to drop a book so thin.

Fortunately the ending contains a couple of twists and is rather unexpected, given the overused schemes for the genre. It cuts off in a cliffhanger, which is less unfortunate, as I'm not convinced to buy next volume. The series lost its appeal to me and I am dropping it now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thraxas Under Siege.