The Flooze's Reviews > Bite Marks

Bite Marks by Jennifer Rardin

Aug 21, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, vanquished_2009, owned, glutton_for_punishment
Read in December, 2009

I keep reading these books...and yet I've only really enjoyed one installment. What is it that keeps me going?

I suppose it's the handful of moments toward the end of each that show what Rardin is capable of accomplishing. There's usually a fight scene or a splattering of gore that's particularly exhilarating.

In this one, the final showdown is entertaining, as is the audacious use of kangaroos. It's exciting, but I saw the resolution coming many, many chapters before, so...eh.

We do get a compelling glimpse into Vayle's past, in his own voice--a piece of writing that, stylistically, far surpasses anything coming from Jaz's disjointed mind.

It's that discombobulated mind that causes most of my irritation with the series. Once again, we're faced with a maddening internal dialogue, as anthropomorphized aspects of Jaz's personality battle an invading influence. This girl is nuttier than a fruitcake, and it does not endear her to me. Nor do her incessant potty jokes (which I still can't see someone like Vayle tolerating).

Pair this up with Jaz's massively stubborn refusal to trust those around her and all I want to do is bind her in a straight jacket and pump her full of meds.

Oh, and I found it anti-climactic to suddenly have the answers to our Vampere / sverhamin / avhar questions dropped casually in our laps during a chat on the patio. All this dancing around the topic for five books, and it's suddenly laid out for everyone in three pages flat? Bizarre.

Jack is cute and I want to know why he's so damn smart. His robokitty playmate Astral is hilarious after her meltdown. Bergman grows a set, which is nice, but I always liked his conspiracy theory neuroses. Cole is breezy and amusing, but I don't know how he doesn't get killed amid all the wisecracks.

I'm not sure I'll read the next. I'll ponder it when the reviews roll in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bite Marks.

12/28/2009 page 76
24.2% "In the space of a chapter we suddenly get half our Vampere questions answered? Bizarre."
12/28/2009 page 91
28.98% "Really? We're not asking Raoul? STOOPID."
12/29/2009 page 165
52.55% "The internal dialogue is driving ME batty."
12/29/2009 page 260
82.8% "Really? You haven't figured out who the shaman is yet? Some operatives. Oye."

The Flooze Bought this last night, so if you're waiting for it, try B&N!

Karen i'm so sad, had this on pre-order from amazon and it's not here yet!

The Flooze I sowwy!

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon I actually enjoyed this installment and thought that it forced some breakthroughs for Jaz and Vayl - why, because he was starting to get a little fed up with all the shit that she kept laying at his feet. I agree with you, she is nuttier than a fruitcake but I do like that because well, I can relate :) She's tough but she's also cracked and vulnerable. I too am tired of the not trusting everyone but in this case she also has that evil guy in her head.

I like Jack and the Robokitty too! The Kangaroos were so funny :)

This book was a little disjointed and I did like the Vayl POV (highly interesting) and I hope that Jaz does a little growing up/leveling out for the next installment because I can't see many people sticking around a person who keeps pushing them away.

I'll keep reading it for you :)

The Flooze See, normally I don't have a problem with crazy because I can relate too...same with the trust issues. She spends so much of her time in her head though--how can she do her job? It doesn't seem feasible. And the trust issues don't jive with me here since she's well accustomed to putting her life in Vayle's hands on the job. ::shaking head::

I thought she was making progress in the last book. It was my favorite of the series. I particularly liked spending time with Albert.

What really irked me was not asking Raoul for his opinion on Brude. Completely illogical to me!! Saving his kiester got her into this mess. Oye!

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Michelle M. wrote: "See, normally I don't have a problem with crazy because I can relate too...same with the trust issues. She spends so much of her time in her head though--how can she do her job? It doesn't seem fea..."

That I can agree with - why not ask Raoul? But wasn't there some sort of convoluted reason why not? I haven't read this in awhile so I don't remember - but wasn't she trying to trick Brude or something? I don't know, Rardin lost me a bit there.

You know - I can agree with that too, which is why I was happy that Vayl got a little fed up with Jaz. I mean, come on already. Either you trust him or you don't. Make up your damn mind!

Is it me or was Cole really annoying in this one?

I think Rardin made the mistake of spending too much time in Jaz's head this time around. I think what happens is that Rardin will write everything from Jaz's point of view and includes her internal stream of consciousness and doesn't give us the action to back it up.

I tend to think really absurd things during times of fear, duty, nervousness so I like that Jaz goes there but I can definitely see your point and can only hope that we see a little more action and a little less fractured thoughts next time around.

But don't give up!

I also have to admit, I kind of dug the different manifestations of Jaz's self-conscious but I think the story was already crammed and it didn't need to be added but come on, who doesn't love Jaz's Grandma?

The Flooze It was more of her insecurity at work that made her not want to involve Raoul. She was afraid he'd take her out if she was "tainted" by Brude's possession. And Cassandra and Vayle actually listened to her reasoning, which put them in a poor light for that moment.

Cole was a little annoying with all his wise-cracks. He must be a MASTER of the multi-task, because he never seems focused on the job. But he amuses me. The obsession with petting a kangaroo...wow.

Sometimes I feel as though the secondary characters in this series are more fleshed out than the primary ones. I just don't feel I "get" Jaz or Vayle most of the time. I blame much of that on not being privy to how their partnership began. We were thrust into a situation of him already being her boss, them already being a team, and then having to accept an existing sexual tension. I find myself flailing a bit, even now, due to lack of foundation. Why did he ever give her cirilai to begin with? Does that ever bother you?

Stream of consciousness...I know what you mean about it being true to life. But when it goes on for pages, I start to wonder how someone that fractured can be depended upon. And like you said, it takes us out of the action. If it's taking US out of the action, presumably SHE must be out of it for those moments, howsoever brief. Considering her job, that's a huge liability.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Michelle M. wrote: "It was more of her insecurity at work that made her not want to involve Raoul. She was afraid he'd take her out if she was "tainted" by Brude's possession. And Cassandra and Vayle actually listened..."

Good point. Never thought of it that way (about the action bit).

You know, I don't even remember how she got Ciralai....I ... wow. I guess I just presumed it was because Vayle was in love with her? Now, I gotta know!!

I don't know, I get the two of them and not so bothered by the lack of the beginning although I would really like to know. I don't think the first book would've benefited from it and I was okay with the progression of their relationship and I felt it was pretty solid.

I am however annoyed with the continuance. Jaz and Vayle are sort of at a standstill because she's too insecure and she's in danger of becoming too much of a caricature of an Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance heroine.

The Flooze The way my mind works...the lack of trust and acceptance from Jaz irritates me to read--yes, in that following-the-stereotype way.

But then, I have NO idea what inspired this supposed big Bond between them anyway! Why does he love and trust her? We were never told, either in real time or in flashbacks, what made him decide to place his SOUL in her hands. When? What came before that? What made her special to him?

It's a pretty HUGE thing to not know.

And it seems doubly weird since it implies a huge amount of trust in her, yet she has little trust in anyone.

And and and! The sverhamin/ahvar relationship...she never had an inkling what that meant until this book! They throw around the titles, but she's always wondering what the hell they mean other than he's not allowed to lie to her.

I just don't see any foundation to any of it other than sexual attraction. And since they never had sex 'til recently...

Grrr.

I liked the little wolf-boy. I want him back.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Michelle M. wrote: "The way my mind works...the lack of trust and acceptance from Jaz irritates me to read--yes, in that following-the-stereotype way.

But then, I have NO idea what inspired this supposed big Bond ..."

You cracked me up with the "and and and!' lol That's something I do!

I think we are supposed to go out on a limb and assume that the relationship between the two of them was developed due to work and then Jaz sort of realized how hot he was and it became sexual attraction. That's what I got out of the first book.

Yeah, I wish they had explained the sverhamin/ahvar before. Like when they were in Europe!!!

Well, maybe part of the reason why Vayle never fully told her was because he has trust issues of his own. He was having a hard time connecting with other people due to the tragedy in his life. That would be a good motive for not giving Jaz that info. Plus! She took it off and threw it back at him when they were at the castle. So, I'd hesitate to give her anymore power over me than necessary.

I could go for some sort of explanation but I don't really need it, I felt her writing was good enough for me to believe that they moved from partners to sexually attracted to one another. Since it's not written from Vayle's point of view, and every time he tries to explain why he loves her Jaz pushes the conversation aside, it's more of a one-sided story with Jaz in the driver's seat but she's not allowing herself to feel/understand the relationship and therefore the reader sort of doesn't understand either. We have to trust in the vehicle of the main character to get us there.

What I don't necessarily understand is their actual romantic relationship. There is a lot of room for improvement in the writing of that relationship. I mean, it's not the whole of the book but it is a large part and I think at this point maybe a reminder of why they are important to each other will help, so you know what? Maybe a flashback of how they met would be good about now.

The Flooze LOL!

Yeah, that limb ain't sturdy enough for me to go out on it. It's lookin' more twig-like all the time.

I'd be content with accepting it was all established off-page, but the huge holes in her knowledge eat away at my acceptance.

"So, I'd hesitate to give her anymore power over me than necessary."

See! Improper foundation! Man, oh man, these people are screwed up with the trust issues.

You know, maybe Jaz as narrator IS my big problem...I can see why she's interested in Vayle. I don't really get his deep interest in her with all this lack of trust and scantily divulged info.

Which is why I liked wolf-boy since he was astutely pointing what ninnies they both are.

I would've liked info on their vacation. Seeing them interact off the job would be fun.

Maybe with that new connection of Jaz's, we'll get to see the moment Vayle decided to give her the ring! If she has lots of flashes from his point of view, then I'll look forward to reading it.

So, did you think they were going to bust out with the "souls of my departed sons" concept again when Vayle was so adamant about saving the two little boys? I was shocked he didn't claim they were his kids!

And did you ever--earlier in the series--think Bergman and Cassandra were going to hook up?

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon Michelle M. wrote: "LOL!

yeah, it's a shaky limb indeed :) I agree and hope that it all comes in flashbacks via the new mental connection of Jaz.

They are screwed up! It's niggling at the back of my head how much they can be annoying about that! Don't get me wrong, I like my characters flawed but not so deep that it's hard to connect.

Yes! I thought he was going to claim them but at the same time I'm glad he didn't. It might sound callous but ok, enough already, you've made your peace.

And yes, I was soooo pissed when they didn't show us the vacation. I need to see some alone time with Jaz and Vayle, I really do. I think that would help to calm my own uneasiness about their relationship. I don't get enough of them interacting together as a couple. And I hate to admit, I kind of wanted to know more about their 'relations'.

OMG! yes! I thought for sure that Bergman and Cassandra would be an item. But now that I think about it - ick.

You know - that's another very fast romance I don't quite get and I know it's just for filler - but David and Cassandra. What the? Who the? I get that she's all-powerful and felt that he was her soulmate but come on now!

You know, I'm just seeing a lack of building up relationships here.

I can't help it though, I still really enjoy the series.