Brendan's Reviews > The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Apr 11, 2007

did not like it

As literature, I found the book dry, predictable, and overwrought. As philosophy, I found it circular, wholly unfounded, and completely contradicting reality.

Of course, it follows a natural flow from the author's assumptions: power, will, and self-determinism are the foundations of all life. Nothing matters, except that you do what you want. Only if you violate your own integrity are you doing wrong; and yet, this violation is quite easy: it involves believing anything contradictory to those first three assumptions.

If you believe this tripe, then you've probably already found a more intelligent and articulate champion for these values. In that case, I'd encourage you to read those authors instead, but ultimately come to the (correct) conclusion that the three aforementioned assumptions are a load of bullshit. If you don't believe this stuff, don't waste your time on this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fountainhead.

02/25/2016 marked as: read

Jeremy "This book is like a net set for unsuspecting minds. It breaches their defenses with a twisted logic, attempting to preclude any conclusions but the ones it sets forth."

The only thing that attempts to preclude conclusions, is this post you've written.

Jeremy Check mate.

Nikola "Of course, it follows a natural flow from the author's assumptions: power, will, and self-determinism are the foundations of all life."

Those are not at all the author's assumptions. Power? Are you serious? Where in the book do you see the protagonist seeking power? The antagonist does that.

And where do you see the author setting the foundations for "all life"? The author is speaking only of the *human* life and sees that life as the standard of valuing of all other things. At best, you've completely missed what this novel is all about.

Chris The worst second-hander is one who seeks power.

message 5: by Brett (new)

Brett Could never be done as a graphic novel: the irony is we will never see the art or architecture the author considers superior, we are supposed to take her word for it - how authoritarian is that?

Jason Brendan, I agree with you. I scoff at the Rand defenders. Does anyone know that she died in public housing on social security? She should not even be labelled a philosopher.