Deb's Reviews > Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession

Called Out of Darkness by Anne Rice

Sep 08, 09

bookshelves: memoir
Read in August, 2009

I was curious about this book when I heard that Anne Rice, an atheist for 40 years, had returned to the Catholic faith of her childhood.

You Catholics or former Catholics out there might really enjoy her descriptions of growing up Catholic in New Orleans (or maybe your mothers would enjoy it even more!). Her writing is lush and evocative. By chance, I came across the audio version of this book just as we were setting off on a long road trip, so I listened to it instead of reading it. And I think that was fortuitous because all through the book, Rice talks about what a horrible reader she was and how she experienced life visually and auditorily. I think that's probably what makes her a good writer--that she writes how she experiences life.

This book is focused on her childhood experience of Catholicism, her total rejection of faith, and then her eventual return to faith and the Catholic Church pretty much in spite of herself.

Since then, she has abandoned the vampire books that made her famous and has instead begun a series of novels on the life of Christ. And I read, too, that she has a new book coming out next month that is about angels, with maybe similar sensibilities as her vampire books.

I really liked this book. I suspect that I might not have been quite as captivated if I'd read it, so I recommend getting the audio version if you can get your hands on it. I got mine from our library.

As a side note, I've never read ANY of Anne Rice's work before this. I think whatever ideas I had about the vampire chronicles were what I picked up generally from the media. Her descriptions of these novels, however, were interesting, especially in terms of what they reveal about the author and her attempt to make sense of life as well as how they were received within the larger culture.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Called Out of Darkness.